Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Introduction to Power BI - defining our flow

Hi fellow Bi'ers,

I would like to tell a bit about the project im starting with and the questions that i raised when exploring all the different possibilities.

Im working in a SaaS company with give or take 120 clients/customers, in 3 countries. Account managers manage around 10-15 customers each.

The reason why we want to start using Power BI is to be able to create reports (monthly, quarterly or half year status reports). That we can hand out to our clients, in PDF format.

My idea would be to create 3 different Power Bi premium accounts (each country) - where account managers can log into - access the report they need - filter the data by their client, filter the dates and export as PDF.

My current idea is to write the extracted data from our SQL to a sharepoint file and from there we would just create a connection between sharepoint and Power BI.

- Does MS allow multiple users on 1 power bi account or are there any limitations to this?

- I'm very new when it comes to Power BI, would this solution be a longterm thing? Or would you forese future issues?

- Would you do something different?

Thanks and please let me know if you have any questions

Tim

3 REPLIES 3
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

MS doesn't seem to have any restrictions on multiple users using 1 Power BI account. (You can do this, but need to consider security)
Your solution can be implemented, you can refer to Ibendlin‘s suggestion.
Also, here are some ways for you to do shared collaboration in Power BI.
For details, you can refer to:Ways to collaborate and share in Power BI 

Hope it helps,

Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

User accounts have a "Pro" license.  The term "premium"  usually means dedicated capacity.  You may not need that. There's also "PPU", Premium per user, which is a sort of hybrid (and twice as expensive as Pro).

You may want to consider connecting the Power BI datasets directly to the SQL Server data source, unless you have other reasons for including Sharepoint in the process.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey  @lbendlin 

Thanks for the response, unfortunate im not a technical person myself and our development team is to busy. 

The reason for creating a sharepoint location would be because I wont be able to create a 'live' database. So i would have to find an other way to publish data. 

My current goal would be to query the live DB -> save the outcome in my local DB - create extra columns and save the outcome to sharepoint? 

After that I can publish my Pbix file to a shared workspace - where the 3 Pro accounts can acces it?

Thanks again for ur answer

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors