Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

daniel12
Frequent Visitor

Internationalization/Localization of Reports

Hi everbody,

I am currently struggling with the problem how to localize reports for users with multiple languages.

Following scenario :

- Using PowerBI embedded

- Same reports shall be provided in English, German and potentielly other languages

How could I externalize label properties to provide localized values for different languages? This applies to text fiels, titles of visuals and category labels, Are there any documented best practices or hints? I was thinking about passing some locale information as part of the embedding url as parameter, but am struggling how I would manage language specific values within powerbi.

Thanks

Daniel

Looking for any guidance on the topic.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @daniel12,

As per my knowledge, it is not possible to localize visual titles, text fields in reports by passing some locale information as part of the embedding URL as parameter, and there is no direct method to achieve this requirement in Power BI.

In your scenario, you can consider to utilize some translation tools/functions such as Microsoft Translator - Text Translation to make your source data to be in multiple languages format, then create reports with multiple languages. For more details, please review the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZQ4BZmtseo

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @daniel12,

As per my knowledge, it is not possible to localize visual titles, text fields in reports by passing some locale information as part of the embedding URL as parameter, and there is no direct method to achieve this requirement in Power BI.

In your scenario, you can consider to utilize some translation tools/functions such as Microsoft Translator - Text Translation to make your source data to be in multiple languages format, then create reports with multiple languages. For more details, please review the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZQ4BZmtseo

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lydia!

daniel12
Frequent Visitor

Hi everbody,

I am currently struggling with the problem how to localize reports for users with multiple languages.

Following scenario :

- Using PowerBI embedded

- Same reports shall be provided in English, German and potentielly other languages

How could I externalize label properties to provide localized values for different languages? This applies to text fiels, titles of visuals and category labels, Are there any documented best practices or hints? I was thinking about passing some locale information as part of the embedding url as parameter, but am struggling how I would manage language specific values within powerbi.

Thanks

Daniel

Looking for any guidance on the topic.

Hellow @daniel12

I would like to know if you were able to make progress in multi language translation for embedded reports, and how you did it.

thank you

Hello Douglas,

not really. The only solution seems to be to to use custom titles/labels as much as possible on all visuals and avoid labels derived from the underlying data model. Then clone reports and translate them manually which is very cumbersome.

Daniel

Even I would like to do the same thing, translating legends, titles in power bi embed from javascript.Passing the label as parameter from javascript and update the chart.please suggest.

Below is my piece of code.

var standardRptConfig = {
pageName: "R1",
filters: FiltersForStandardReports,
settings: {
filterPaneEnabled: false,
navContentPaneEnabled: false
}
};
var standardRptElement = document.getElementById('standardreport');
standardReport = powerbi.embed(standardRptElement, standardRptConfig);

Hellow @daniel12

I would like to know if you were able to make progress in multi language translation for embedded reports, and how you did it.

thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.