Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

rabers
Regular Visitor

Internal PBI files

hi,

i'm new to pbi and i wonder

does pbi has some sort of internal files that holds manipulated data for further reuse?

once i've uploaded data from multiple sources and created a manipulated table based on them. can I reuse that data somewhere alse (other dashboard for example) without redo all the manipulations again?

5 REPLIES 5
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@rabers

Analyze in Excel mentioned by BhaveshPatel should be a good choice. Please try it to see if it can meet your requirement.

Best Regards,

Herbert

i probably, didn't explain myself properly...

i was looking for a some kind of scripting assitance tool.

non of the above is helping me but i guess that this is due to the nature of this (Power BI) tool.

i/m comming from Qlikview and i used to do some scripting, data preparation and while doing that - store and reuse Qlikview data files.

i guess it's diferent in PBI

smelei
Frequent Visitor

Would doing a Save As on the original dashboard and then deleting the pages and starting afresh on the new dashboard visuals meet your needs?

Not sure it would capture everything you need, but copying everything from the Advanced Editor (

Edit Queries > View > Advanced Editor) and then pasting into a new dashboard might also give you what you're after (though if you've got a lot of queries, it might be time consuming).

Hope this helps!

@rabers

PowerBI comes with the Advanced Query Editor which is more or less similar to the script editor in Qilkview. It has its own language called M informally and it is predominantly used for the massaging of the data. PowerBI is a two in a one tool consisting of PowerQuery and PowerPivot. The Former uses M as described before and PowerPivot runs on the DAX language, used mainly for the aggregations of the data.

For more information and Demo on the PowerQuery or Advanced Query Editor,

Please see this video in Youtube at here by Matt Allington.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

yes, you can use analyze in excel option in powerBI service to reuse the model.

Please refer to this blog for more information:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-analyze-in-excel/

Thanks & Regards,

Bhavesh

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.