cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal Error connecting PowerBI to MySQL database

Hello,

I am currently trying to connect a dashboard I designed with a MySQL database holding the data currently. However, I keep receiving this error: Details: "An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Internal connection fatal error. Error state: 18'".

Is this an issue with PowerBI's side or the host's side and is there a way to fix this? 

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @DrinkableRiver ,

In your scenario, are you able to connect to the MySQL database in MySQL workbench? Please ensure that MySQL workbench is installed in the same machine as Power BI Desktop.

If the connection is successful in MySQL workbench, use same connection string and make sure that you use Database credential in Power BI Desktop to connect to the MySQL database, and you can review this blog about connecting to MySQL in Power BI Desktop.

If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and give it some kudos?

Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef

Thank you for responding.

Unfortunately, even after trying those methods I am still receiving the same error.

Do you know of any other potential solutions perhaps? 

Have you found any solution for this issue? I am able to connect to the Azure MySQL using Workbench but I am getting the same error as yours while connecting the PowerBI data source to Azure MySQL

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Happy New Year from Power BI

This is a must watch for a message from Power BI!

December Update

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the December 2020 Updates!

Community Blog

Check it Out!

Click here to read the latest blog and learn more about contributing to the Power BI blog!

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors