Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interactions: changing what gets filtered.

I'm looking for a way to alter what filters are applied through interactions. Coming from Tableau it was possible to select what happens when a user selects a piece of an individual visualizations, meaning the only specific filters were altered, and I'm looking for where these options are in Power BI.

In case I'm not getting my words across well enough, below are pictures. The top picture is the default view whereas the bottom picture is the filtered view due to the interaction. As you can see, the second visualization loses its "budget" bar because the graph with the selected interaction filters out the budget.

Example7.png

Example8.png

5 REPLIES 5
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please refer to these document:

Change how visuals interact in a Power BI report;

What is the default visual interaction in power BI, how to change it, How many types of interactions are there?

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lbendlin Thanks for the response but as described by Microsoft (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-reports-visual-interactions) that button only allows you to edit whether the interactions Filter, Highlight or Do Nothing.

@Icey I appreciate the response but neither of those links deals with my question. The first link only shows how you can change between Filter, Highlight, and Do Nothing. The second link, from what I can tell, is fairly outdated as some of the options they mention aren't in the desktop version of Power BI and beyond that it doesn't deal with my question.

You can also create measures that escape the filter context. Combined with the interaction options that will probably get you what you want.  I would be wary though if your report users will understand and/or appreciate the UX.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I had considered that too but I'm trying to avoid having to create custom measures for every visualization because one, it's messy, and two, it's bound to have unintended consequences (as I've already had to do it a few times). 

Like I said, I know it was a native feature of Tableau so I had assumed it would have been part of Power BI too. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Format...Edit interactions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.