cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Interactions: changing what gets filtered.

I'm looking for a way to alter what filters are applied through interactions. Coming from Tableau it was possible to select what happens when a user selects a piece of an individual visualizations, meaning the only specific filters were altered, and I'm looking for where these options are in Power BI.

In case I'm not getting my words across well enough, below are pictures. The top picture is the default view whereas the bottom picture is the filtered view due to the interaction. As you can see, the second visualization loses its "budget" bar because the graph with the selected interaction filters out the budget.

Example7.png

Example8.png

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Interactions: changing what gets filtered.

Format...Edit interactions.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DRodes ,

Please refer to these document:

Change how visuals interact in a Power BI report;

What is the default visual interaction in power BI, how to change it, How many types of interactions...

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Highlighted

@lbendlin Thanks for the response but as described by Microsoft (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/service-reports-visual-interactions) that button only allows you to edit whether the interactions Filter, Highlight or Do Nothing.

@Icey I appreciate the response but neither of those links deals with my question. The first link only shows how you can change between Filter, Highlight, and Do Nothing. The second link, from what I can tell, is fairly outdated as some of the options they mention aren't in the desktop version of Power BI and beyond that it doesn't deal with my question.

Highlighted
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can also create measures that escape the filter context. Combined with the interaction options that will probably get you what you want.  I would be wary though if your report users will understand and/or appreciate the UX.

Highlighted

Yes, I had considered that too but I'm trying to avoid having to create custom measures for every visualization because one, it's messy, and two, it's bound to have unintended consequences (as I've already had to do it a few times). 

Like I said, I know it was a native feature of Tableau so I had assumed it would have been part of Power BI too. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

July 2020 Community Highlights

July 2020 Community Highlights

Learn about the exciting things that happened in July.

Upcoming Events

Upcoming Events

Wondering what events you could join or have an event to promote yourself? Check out our Upcoming Events.

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

We are thrilled to announce we will begin running a monthly webinar series named Power BI Dev Camp.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors