Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rodneyc8063
Helper V
Helper V

Intellisense Not Showing Table Column in Measure Formula?

So I am new to Power BI and am still learning the language.

Early on, I sort of just "trusted" Intellisense and didnt question it very much on how it worked but I just came across something and just wanted to finally ask my silly question 🙂

Using a very simple example, I have a table with one single column and row inside of it

test.jpg

Now, I am just playing around and trying to use the FORMAT function.

I create a calculated column by right clicking on the table and selecting "New Column"

TEST1.jpg

I start to type out my formula [ Column = FORMAT(DATE..... ] and intellisense picks up the table/table column as shown

TEST2.jpg

Now when I repeat the same steps but this time create "New Measure" intellisense does NOT pick up the table or column?

TEST3.jpg

I know Intellisense is supposed to be "smart" enough to know when to suggest certain things, so it makes our lives easier coding. But I was just curious in this case, I am typing out the exact same basic formula with the only difference being that one is in a calculated column, and another is in a measure.

So why would Intellisense not let me choose the table/column in a measure?

I have noticed also in the past that at times when typing certain formulas that intellisense would "sometimes" show columns, and "sometimes" it would not.

I just wanted to understand a bit more "why" intellisense would show or not show columns when typing a formula? 

Thanks in advance for any help or insight

1 REPLY 1
krishna0
Helper II
Helper II

Hello,

Format requires single value as an input - you will be not able to use column. It will work only on aggregated value (for example on effect of Calculation formula). If you try to type: format(max([Date)), then it will work.

It works on column because in the column you receive one value per each row, but not in a measure - this takes whole table/column as an input (until you aggregate) and that is one of the basic differences between column and measure formulas.

Best regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.