Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hansei
Helper V
Helper V

Intellisense / Auto Complete Stopped Working

I recently uninstalled the store version of PBI desktop to install the direct download version (because I wanted the drag-drop re-order which is not available in the store version). Latest version revision {553CCBE1-56C5-4CF7-BE8D-0AD37CA36E6F}

Intellisense was working fine for a few days, and then became sporadic. Now, it almost never gives the auto-complete for variable/line names. And it rarely shows the matches among built-in functions. e.g. here I would expect table.re to give Table.RemoveColumns among other entries, but it doesn't.

intellisense.png

Reinstalled without any affect whatsoever. Turned off Intellisense, restarted, turned on, restarted, and no effect. Is there some cache or some trick someone has for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So, I've isolated the problem. Intellisense and auto-complete fail as soon as a 'try' is created without 'otherwise'.

e.g. if you add line 11 from this example anywhere in any query, the feature is broken in all queries.

textUnitPrice = try Number.ToText(Sales[UnitPrice])

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
hansei
Helper V
Helper V

It seems that the problem is isolated to a single .pbix file. Others are working fine. Saving a copy (via PBI or Explorer) does not fix the issue. I tried to delete the internal Metadata file, but that made no difference either. Interestingly, Metadata was not even re-created after deletion. Any ideas other than recreating every query? 

2019-08-29.png

So, I've isolated the problem. Intellisense and auto-complete fail as soon as a 'try' is created without 'otherwise'.

e.g. if you add line 11 from this example anywhere in any query, the feature is broken in all queries.

textUnitPrice = try Number.ToText(Sales[UnitPrice])
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hansei ,

Please kindly refer to below posts for advice:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13982526/why-does-intellisense-and-code-suggestion-stop-working-...

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12095102/intellisense-auto-complete-stops-working-on-vs2008

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

I fail to see the connection between my question about the latest Power BI Desktop and some suggestions for a 7 year old version of Visual Studio.

Hi @hansei ,

Based on my test, i cannot reproduce the same issue as you said. Above are some articles for your reference, hopefully give you some hits about the M code.

If does not help, you may submit a support ticket.https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Support Ticket.gif

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.