Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Applicable88
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Instead using bookmarks to switch visuals dimension using a dropdown menu

Hello,

I once seen a report where someone uses a dropdown menu to switch the dimension between date, calendar week, month and year view of visuals. I find its a much more elegant way to do it, compare using bookmarks to switch the many overlapping visuals. 

For example I have a date table and another table is joined in the datamodel how many orders were coming in per day. Then these can be displayed in a bar chart and I use the drop down of the dimension to switch between date, calendar week and month etc. 

The standard structure would be having a table1 dimension table and a table2 Facttable, which are connected in the datamodel later on :

Date Calendarweek Month
01.01.202153Dec
02.01.202153Dec
03.01.202153Dec
04.01.20211Jan
05.01.20212Jan
06.01.20213Jan
07.01.20214Jan
08.01.20215Jan
09.01.20216Jan
10.01.20217Jan
11.01.20218Jan

Date  Ordersamount
01.01.2021 100
02.01.2021 288
03.01.2021 333
04.01.2021 555
05.01.2021 987
06.01.2021 888
07.01.2021 123
08.01.2021 444
09.01.2021 555
10.01.2021 345
11.01.2021 432

Thank you very much in advance.

Best.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Applicable88 I guess you are looking for dynamic x-axis, check this video and I hope this is what you want

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Applicable88 I guess you are looking for dynamic x-axis, check this video and I hope this is what you want

Follow us on LinkedIn

Check my latest blog post The Power of Using Calculation Groups with Inactive Relationships (Part 1) (perytus.com) I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Applicable88 you can following the technique shown in this post and tweak it as per your need.

Follow us on LinkedIn

Hello @parry2k, thank you very much. I did take a look at it. As far I understand there is a difference in what the showed example displays and what I'm looking for. In the example it were practically switch between fixed  timeframes like "the last two months", "prior year", "last two weeks" etc. Whenever he switches the button he stays within the dimension of dates.

What I try to find is a method to switch between daily, weekly, monthly and yearly. To make it possible for the barchart to switch they need to be in the same column of course:

Applicable88_2-1632473868647.png

The first problem I have, that there is no calendar week function like week(), only weeknumber which is different. And the second problem is, when I switch from daily to monthly or yearly it will show me the first of the month or respectivley the first of the year, instead of simply Jan,Feb,Mar....or for year 2020,2021 bars:

Years:

Applicable88_3-1632474106092.png

Month:

Applicable88_5-1632474346908.png

Changing the format for one column means it changes for all dimensions. I don't know, maybe someone knows a workaround for this.

Best. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors