Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wilfredtsk
Helper I
Helper I

Inserting static local Image into PowerBI report

Hi there, been trying to insert a local image onto my PowerBI Desktop report but could not get the "image" function on PowerBI desktop to work. 

Seeking help over here. tks in advance for reading my post!

Cheers,

Wilfred

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@wilfredtsk,

I add a .jpg image which is 420 kb as background image of Power BI report page in the Power BI Desktop February update version, everything works well. Could you please share me the image file? You can upload it to OneDrive and send me the shared link of the image.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi Lydia,

This is what I meant (when I add image as a tile) - 

Windows_10.jpg

@wilfredtsk,

I can add this image when it is 449 kb. In your scenario, you can use Paint tool to  resize  the image to a proper size, then add it to Power BI Desktop.
1.JPG2.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

11 REPLIES 11
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are you getting an error? What type of image is it (jpg, png?)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Tks for replying. I am trying to insert a jpeg and this is the error message which I get.

Windows_10.jpg

file size is 380kb

@wilfredtsk,

I add a .jpg image which is 420 kb as background image of Power BI report page in the Power BI Desktop February update version, everything works well. Could you please share me the image file? You can upload it to OneDrive and send me the shared link of the image.

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia, 

tks for replying. I was trying to add image as another "tile". not as background image.

I can't attach the original image as it is sensitive, with faces of various individuals.. Found a very similar one online...

DSC00282.jpg

URL for this range of photo - http://peichunpublic.moe.edu.sg/p6-learning-journery-to-singapore-zoo/

Tks for helping!!! 😃

Cheers,

Wilfred

@wilfredtsk,

Could you please describe more details about "I was trying to add image as another tile"?

Regards,
Lydia

Hi Lydia,

This is what I meant (when I add image as a tile) - 

Windows_10.jpg

@wilfredtsk,

I can add this image when it is 449 kb. In your scenario, you can use Paint tool to  resize  the image to a proper size, then add it to Power BI Desktop.
1.JPG2.JPG

Regards,
Lydia

Hello,

First my apologies if I'm breaking a forum rule (asking a question within a question). I'm having a related challenge using PowerBI desktop.

I've tried both *.jpg and *.png

PowerBI Desktop:

• I can insert an image both as a tile or as a background. The image I insert displays correctly.

PowerBI on the Web

• I can publish my dashboard report from PowerBI Desktop to PowerBI on the web. The image I inserted displays correctly.

PowerBI Publish to the Web feature

• I create a link using the Publish to the Web feature from PowerBI on the Web. The dashboard publishes.

PowerBI Dashboard Web Page

• PROBLEM: - When I open the dashboard using the link generated by the Publish to the Web feature, everything displays correctly (text boxes, visualizations) EXCEPT the image I inserted either as a tile or as a background image.

Goal

• Have the image (map) display on PowerBI Dashboard webpage.

Is there something in options I should enable or ?? what am I doing incorrectly?

Big thank you in advance for any help you provide.

Here's the link to the PowerBI Dashboard Web Page. It is a work in process so from time to time the map page may not be there because I'm presenting this to my leadership.

Houston - Australasia Air Service

PowerBI on the Desktop.JPGPowerBI on the Web.JPGPowerBI on the Web Publish to the web.JPGPowerBI on the Web Publish to the web2.JPGPowerBI on the Web Publish to the web3.JPG

Update:

• I looked at the size of my image files. They are less than 420k or less.
  • I created a new Desktop PowerBI report, inserted some basic test data. Note: the data is not required for my image. As a matter of fact, I did not create any calculations. I just needed the data in order for the "publish to web" icon to enable.
  • Imported the same image I have but into this test document. I did not resize the image tile. I left it at it's default size upon import.
  • Published to web.
  • The image fully displayed correctly.
  • Went back to PowerBi Desktop and resized the image tile to cover the entire paged. Save it and republished it.
  • The resized image displayed correctly.

I suspect there is some property or something in my original file that is causing the image no to display but I don't know what it is.

Click to see test

END

Hello Ricardo2018,

I've had the  same experience with the same test you ran and the same results. My solution was as yours where in essence I recreated my report and all worked correctly. I suspected that my original file was corrupted in some way. Unfortunately I don't ahve any insight as to 'why' it happens. I researched the image size rules I believe I complied with everything, albeit my solution was, if I want an image I need to start over.

Rich Ard

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.