Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dellis81
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Insert Begin Balance entry in matrix

Hello

I have an inventory based matrix, with a slicer by year.   I am looking for a way to insert the begin balance entry as a part of the running total display.   I have played with the 'date" table, by adjusting year by previous day, but that wacks up the current year's 12/31 cumulative total.

The line in green is what I'm hoping to get to when using a slicer by year

BegBalanceEntry.PNG

Are there any thoughts to get me started in the right direction?

Thank you in advance for the awesome support this forum provides. 

DAryl

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dellis81 ,

I created a sample pbix file(see attachment), please check whether that is what you want.

1. Copy the following applied codes in your Advanced Editor:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtU31DcyMDRX0lEKKC1KzkgsTgUyDQ0MlGJ1opXM9A1NYdIumcUF+cWJOUCmrhFU3tBI39gQmwJTqAJzfbB+C1TjYdotIJZb4NBsiZBG0mwCko0FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Description = _t, #"Transaction Dollars" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Description", type text}, {"Transaction Dollars", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Year", each Date.Year([Date])),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Custom", {"Year"}, {{"Details", each Table.InsertRows(_,Table.RowCount(_), {[Year=[Year]{0},Date=#date([Year]{0},1,1),Description="BegBalance",Transaction Dollars=null]})}}),
    #"Expanded Details" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Details", {"Date", "Description", "Transaction Dollars"}, {"Date", "Description", "Transaction Dollars"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Details",{{"Date", type date}, {"Description", type text}, {"Transaction Dollars", Int64.Type}, {"Year", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

yingyinr_0-1636366136538.png

2. Create a measure as below to get the cumulative values

Cumulative = 
    + CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Table'[Transaction Dollars] ),
        FILTER (
            ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ),
            'Table'[Date] <= SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Date] )
        )
    )

yingyinr_1-1636366688694.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dellis81 ,

I created a sample pbix file(see attachment), please check whether that is what you want.

1. Copy the following applied codes in your Advanced Editor:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMtU31DcyMDRX0lEKKC1KzkgsTgUyDQ0MlGJ1opXM9A1NYdIumcUF+cWJOUCmrhFU3tBI39gQmwJTqAJzfbB+C1TjYdotIJZb4NBsiZBG0mwCko0FAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Description = _t, #"Transaction Dollars" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Date", type date}, {"Description", type text}, {"Transaction Dollars", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Year", each Date.Year([Date])),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Added Custom", {"Year"}, {{"Details", each Table.InsertRows(_,Table.RowCount(_), {[Year=[Year]{0},Date=#date([Year]{0},1,1),Description="BegBalance",Transaction Dollars=null]})}}),
    #"Expanded Details" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Details", {"Date", "Description", "Transaction Dollars"}, {"Date", "Description", "Transaction Dollars"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Details",{{"Date", type date}, {"Description", type text}, {"Transaction Dollars", Int64.Type}, {"Year", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

yingyinr_0-1636366136538.png

2. Create a measure as below to get the cumulative values

Cumulative = 
    + CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Table'[Transaction Dollars] ),
        FILTER (
            ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ),
            'Table'[Date] <= SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Date] )
        )
    )

yingyinr_1-1636366688694.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Oh awesome.   So basically a new line item was inserted for each year (Jan 1st)- with a simple description of BegBalance - with nulls as transactions Amount?.  I will have to work on the measure to calcuate the begin balance (right now you plugged in as $1,500.   Think I can make that happen.
Thank you - I will work on next few days (as I can) - and get back to you if issues.  But, will accept this as a solution - as it what I was seeking!   You got me on a different trail of thinking

Thank you again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.