Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chanukya_p
Frequent Visitor

Input Parameters in Power BI Service

Hello All,

With few input parameters after loading the query/view into Power BI desktop the data is been loaded. Once again if a user wants to refresh the report using the Input Parameter such as using the date then is it possible to do in Power BI or is there any different approach?

What about adding input fields to the report in Power BI Service? Can user himself change the data without using Slicer/Filters? Primarily using Input Parameters?

Regards,

Chanukya

5 REPLIES 5
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @chanukya_p,

The Input Parameters cannot be passed to the report in Power BI Service. The Parameters can be passed only to a Power BI Template file and that too restricted to Desktop

Hello Thejeswar,

Thanks for your reply. Is there any alternate way to pass the input parameters in Power BI desktop to Power BI service?

Regards,

Chanukya

Hi @chanukya_p,

Not likely there is a workaround for pasing Input parameters to service, as far as I know

There is one way you can alternatively handle this. But it might or might not satisfy your need

As long as there is no any column that works based on your parameters, you need not have to allow users to provide input parameters.

You can alternatively provide the users to select the same using slicers. But the limitation is you might have to redesign the report to work using slicers

If slicers are not desired, you can give the users select the same using Visual filters/ page level filter/ report level filters

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @chanukya_p,

Based on my test, I am afraid you could not change the data in Power BI service by using the Parameter. It's only supported in Power BI desktop. If we publish the report which has query parameter values, the report display in servcie is the same as the saved results in desktop. Please vote this idea: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13820190-power-bi-online-query-pa...

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. That's a big negative feature missing. However, can you clear me on more point regarding the below?

1. While loading the HANA View it will pop up for input parameter in Power BI Desktop and then the data is loaded using Direct Query option. 

1Capture.PNG

2.  Is it possible to pass this input parameter in Power BI service still so that end User wants the parameter on his own?

Correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Regards,

Chanukya 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.