Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Inner Join in Power BI created by Power BI Desktop based on Date vs Year?

Hi,

I have a fact table (30m rows) + a calendar table (dim_time).

The dim_time table is created in the datawarehouse and has a range of dates from 1980 to 2050.

I am doing a Inner Join on the date field to just get necessary rows in the calendar table.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to solve this? Is a Inner Join the best operation for this? Or is better to maybe fech the min / max date from the fact table and use that to filter out the dim_time table instead of doing an inner join?

I've also tought about creating a year column in the fact table and instead of using Date as the Inner Join field use Year in the fact table + Year in the date table and am wondering if that would go faster?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Best,

Ali A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again,

Thanks for your reponse.

What I did instead is add this to the dim_time (calendar table):

Add a step to filter rows and then I used the following logic to filter it based on the lowest and highest date value I found in the fact table.

= Table.SelectRows(columns_renamed, each [Year] >= Date.Year(List.Min(#"fact_distribution"[Date])) and [Year] <= Date.Year(List.Max(#"fact_distribution"[Date])))

Worked much better and I had to avoid the inner joins which took a lot of time.

Here is the syntax for finding the min and max year (based on date) in Power Query (if anyone else wants it):

Min: = Date.Year(List.Max(#"TableName"[DateField]))

Max: = Date.Year(List.Min(#"TableName "[DateField]))

Best,

Ali A

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I would take the second suggestion of yours to be better. You could Create a Measure with two variables which would take the First and the Last Dates in the Fact Table , and be using these Variables to Filter and return the Table. I assume you would be aware of this syntax, but just to make sure that  i put my Idea across lucently.

VAR First_Date= FIRSTDATE(Fact[Date])
VAR Last_Date=LASTDATE(Fact[Date])
RETURN CALCULATETABLE(Date,FILTER(Date, Date[Date] >= First_Date && Date[Date] <= Last_Date))
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again,

Thanks for your reponse.

What I did instead is add this to the dim_time (calendar table):

Add a step to filter rows and then I used the following logic to filter it based on the lowest and highest date value I found in the fact table.

= Table.SelectRows(columns_renamed, each [Year] >= Date.Year(List.Min(#"fact_distribution"[Date])) and [Year] <= Date.Year(List.Max(#"fact_distribution"[Date])))

Worked much better and I had to avoid the inner joins which took a lot of time.

Here is the syntax for finding the min and max year (based on date) in Power Query (if anyone else wants it):

Min: = Date.Year(List.Max(#"TableName"[DateField]))

Max: = Date.Year(List.Min(#"TableName "[DateField]))

Best,

Ali A

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.