Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

microbati
Regular Visitor

Individual and Group average

Hello,

I have the following puzzle that I am trying to resolve and so far I was not able to find a good solution to it (DAX).

The raw data table looks like:

NameActivitiesDate
John22019-07-07
John32019-07-08
John42019-07-12
Deanna32019-07-08
Deanna42019-07-09
Deanna52019-07-11

I want to know the Average activities per day per "employee" so I have created two measures:

1- Worked days = DISTINCTCOUNT(Date)

2- Total Activities = SUM(Activities)

3- Avg Activities = Total Activities / Worked Days / DISTINCTCOUNT(Name) 

Which yield the expected results:

NameAvg ActivitiesTotal ActivitiesWorked days
John393
Deanna4123

So far so good, now I want to calculate the Average activities per day per name of the team, you would say that the above is pretty simple, just remove the Name component and I should get the team average:

Avg ActivitiesTotal ActivitiesWorked daysDISTINCTCOUNT(Name) 

As you can see the average result of 4.2 is not the right one, it should be 3.5 (in this case I've simulated the data to be simple at the eye). 

This result is given by the way that Worked days counts the number of "active days" of each employee.

I think that a weighted average would work, but I have not been able to identify the right way to do it in PowerBI

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @microbati 

This looks like a measure totals problem. Very common. See this post about it
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Also, this Quick Measure, Measure Totals, The Final Word should get you what you need:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

For your case,  just try this formula:

Measure = var _table=SUMMARIZE(Table1,Table1[Name],"Avg Activities",[Avg Activities]) return
AVERAGEX(_table,[Avg Activities])

Result:

12.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @microbati 

This looks like a measure totals problem. Very common. See this post about it
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Also, this Quick Measure, Measure Totals, The Final Word should get you what you need:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

For your case,  just try this formula:

Measure = var _table=SUMMARIZE(Table1,Table1[Name],"Avg Activities",[Avg Activities]) return
AVERAGEX(_table,[Avg Activities])

Result:

12.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you!.

I've just combined your answer with an additional mesasure using HASONEFILETER to come out with a final table:

Capture.PNG

Now both totals and Team average show the right numbers.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Shouldn't your measures be :

worked days = COUNT(Table1[Date])

Avg Activities = [Total Activities] / [worked days] 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.