Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indicate 'no data' on graph - how to?

I have a data set, where it's quite possible that some entities have no data.

The issue is, in my case, when using a bar graph, a low bar indicates good performance. So when entities with no data show up as blank, this is misconstrued as 'really good!'.

I need all entities present on the graph, so I can't simply deselect 'Show items with no data'. I need a way of indicating that the particular entity has no data.

I've tried searching for special indicators on graphs, or even having them display strings (i.e. "Error, no data") but no luck.

Any suggestions much apprciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

For your feature request reveal the tooltip without hovering over, you can create an idea here.

Thanks,
Angelia

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
ccakjcrx
Resolver I
Resolver I

@Anonymous

Hey!

As with @Greg_Deckler, I have to speculate concerning some of the characteristics of your problem because we don't have access to your data. 

Is it the case that the entity (without a value) shows up as null in the data view in pbi desktop? If that is the case, you can go into the query editor, and replace the null values with 0. When in query editor, you simply:

1. Select the desired column

2. Click replace values

3. Change null to 0

NoValueBarChart.jpg

If you close and apply, the model will update existing null values with 0 in the specified column, and your entities will show up in your bar chart.

Barchart.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ccakjcrx Hey!

Null or 0, it makes no difference as both return a low bar on the graph. I need to indicate no data, null or 0 in an explicite way, otherwise it's confused with good performance.

Thanks for the walkthrough though! I didn't know you could replace values like that.

Could you create a Measure and include an IF(ISBLANK() in it and if so set it to the MAX of the value or some static number like 100? Not ideal, but at least it would not be zero. Also, you could potentially create another measure for a tooltip so that you could show "No data" when they hover over the value.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

So, are you saying that you have some categories or groups like:

Category

red

green

blue

And you have some data like

Category,Incidents

red,1

red,2

green,4

red,5

green,6

So, no blue. Something along those lines?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Greg_Deckler Correct, except each category is distinct. (so red would only feature once, and with its number)

Hi @Anonymous,

Create a measure similar the formula below, and check if it returns correct result as @Greg_Deckler posted.

measure=IF(sum(Table[Indicator])=BLANK(),0,sum(Table[Indicator]))

Please respond to us if you have other issue.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

This measure was so help full, but instead of "o", can we include some text like "no records".

Thank you,

-Harsha 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-huizhn-msft@Greg_Deckler

Thank you for your suggestions.

I already have a measure that returns BLANK IF 0, and that works as expected.

I like the tooltip idea, the only issue is, you need data to hover over to reveal the tooltip.

I could force a static number in the event of no data, I just tried this with numbers that aren't going to interfere with the results (like minus numbers) but this is just too inelegant unfortunately.

I've considered creating a table of categories that have no data, but this means the user has to cross reference that table with the graph to pick out the offenders, and also isn't ideal.

Hi @Anonymous,

For your feature request reveal the tooltip without hovering over, you can create an idea here.

Thanks,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good idea! Thanks

Hi @Anonymous,

You're welcome, could you please mark the useful/helpful reply as answer? So that more people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Done

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.