Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indexing on SQL Server

Hi there,

Do I need to create index on SQL server database tables when I pull data into power BI desktop?

Or Power BI will handle that.

What abount direct query against sql server do I need to create index on the tables?

P.S. I'm using non clustered column store index on all my tables

Thanks,

Oded Dror

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jimmy,

Thank you

Ed Dror

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi odeddror,

If you connect to your sql server instance using import mode, you can add an additional index column in power query, click Query Editors-> Add Columns-> Index Column. If using direct query/live connection mode, you should create index column in your database because power bi doesn't allow users to create any custom columns in power query or calculate columns in DAX in direct query/live connection mode.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jimmy,

Thank you

Ed Dror

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jimmy,

Thank you for the explanation, my question was should I create an index in SQL Server or not?

Is Power BI its own machanism to handle that?

Thanks

@Anonymous,

Thank you for the explanation, my question was should I create an index in SQL Server or not?

That's based on your requirement. For example, if you need to achieve some result in some measures based off the relationships between up and down rows, you can create an index column.

Is Power BI its own machanism to handle that?

Yes, like SQL script in SQL Server, you can also wirte Power Query or DAX function to use the index column.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you (I have difficulty to mak your answer - I'm getting authentication issue when I submit)

Oded Dror

Hi odeddror,

This may caused by your power bi forumn authentication is expired, you may refresh the browser several times to solve this issue.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors