Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

laurab92
Frequent Visitor

Indexing & SUMIF based on multiple criteria

I have invoice data I get daily (sample attached), and it's listed by line item per invoice - so there's a line per product (sometimes multiple of the same product - due to a different purchase type, but they are grouped at this level by a distinct reference, the discounts are not), then any discounts applied in the rows below, with sometimes more than 1 discount for a product.  The discounts below each product always apply to the product above.

I currently do the following in excel (formulas also in the attached sample) but it requires a manual paste & extension each morning which isn't ideal.  The grey columns are something I feel comfortable replicating in PowerQuery already, so it's just the 2 columns on the RHS I am struggling with.

Formula - Index.JPGFormula - Price Paid.JPG

I'm looking to have a column set up within the PowerQuery stage that replicates COL L - so indexes each row that is relevant to the product as a repeated index, so I can then apply a calculation similar to COL M that gives a total £ paid for the product (with discounts deducted) against just the product line, and then display the value against discount rows as 0.

I have managed to create an Index in PowerQuery based just on the invoice #, but haven't been able to add in the 2nd constraint of the product level of detail, and also it removes all the other columns - just shows me the inv# column & the index!

Would be grateful for any suggestions on how best to solve this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@laurab92 

you can create an index column in PQ then use DAX to create two columns

Column = countx(FILTER(Sheet1,Sheet1[Index]<=EARLIER(Sheet1[Index])&&Sheet1[UnitPrice]>0&&Sheet1[Invoice Num]=EARLIER(Sheet1[Invoice Num])),Sheet1[UnitPrice])

Column 2 = if(Sheet1[TOTAL REVENUE FORMULA]>0,SUMX(FILTER(Sheet1,Sheet1[Invoice Num]=EARLIER(Sheet1[Invoice Num])&&Sheet1[Column]=EARLIER(Sheet1[Column])),Sheet1[TOTAL REVENUE FORMULA]),0)

1.png

please see the attachment below

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ryan_mayu
Super User
Super User

@laurab92 

you can create an index column in PQ then use DAX to create two columns

Column = countx(FILTER(Sheet1,Sheet1[Index]<=EARLIER(Sheet1[Index])&&Sheet1[UnitPrice]>0&&Sheet1[Invoice Num]=EARLIER(Sheet1[Invoice Num])),Sheet1[UnitPrice])

Column 2 = if(Sheet1[TOTAL REVENUE FORMULA]>0,SUMX(FILTER(Sheet1,Sheet1[Invoice Num]=EARLIER(Sheet1[Invoice Num])&&Sheet1[Column]=EARLIER(Sheet1[Column])),Sheet1[TOTAL REVENUE FORMULA]),0)

1.png

please see the attachment below

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you so much @ryan_mayu - your attachment looks perfect, sadly I think my data set is too big as it says there's not enough memory to perform the 1st index calc!

Hi @laurab92 ,

Please try to extend your memory on your pc. Restart if you get problems and make sure your memory has been release which can take a while. Close other memory hogs like browsers.

Remove the unused column and try to uncheck the option in the screenshot below:

Capture4.PNG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.