Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Index relative to minimum selected year

Hi everyone, 

I'm making a chart where the vertical axis is index and horizontal axis is year. 
The value for each year is the indexed change from the first year in the chart. 

For example, if the selected years are 2000-2015, then 2014 = (sum of 2014 values / sum of 2000 values) *100.

So far I've been trying different versions of the measure below, but I can't get it to work. 

It seems to keep the filter for min(year) and thus returns 100 for all years. 

Measure=
divide(sum('Data'[value]),calculate(sum('Data'[value]),
filter('Data','Data'[Year]=calculate(min('Data'[Year]),allselected('TV Data')))))*100

Can this be done?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Danielgadhas ,

The result of a measure is based on current filtered context, so I'm afraid using a measure can't achieve your requirement, you should use calculate column instead.

Column = calculate(sum(Data[Value]), FILTER(all(Data), Data[Year]=min(Data[Year])))

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi again, 

I may have narrowed down the problem, but I still don't have a solution. 

calculate(min('Data'[Year]),allselected('TV Data'))

This shows the right year. Meaning if 2000 is the lowest selected year it shows in all years. 

However, it doesn't work as a filter in this expression:

calculate(sum('Data'[value]),
filter('Data','Data'[Year]=calculate(min('Data'[Year]),allselected('TV Data')))

I want it to return the sum of the values from the lowest selected year, but it simply shows the sums of each year. 

The return is the same as sum('Data'[Value]), which explains why the full expressions returns 100. 

Anyone knows why this filter is not applying? I'm sure there is a logical answer 🙂

@Anonymous

Try removing the inner calculate

CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Data'[value] ),
    FILTER ( 'Data', 'Data'[Year] = MIN ( 'Data'[Year] ) ),
    ALLSELECTED ( 'TV Data' )
)

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zubair_Muhammad

Thank you for responding. 

I tried your solution but unfortuently it still returns the sum of each individual year instead of the first. 

I've made a small mockup using this data:
Table.PNG

Here is the return:

measure = calculate(sum(Data[Value]);FILTER(Data;Data[Year]=min(Data[Year]));allselected(Data))
Return.PNG

In this case I want the measure to show 110 for all the rows whereas the value shows the sum of the specific year. 

The goal is to divide value by measure to show the difference from the lowest selected year. 

Hi Danielgadhas,

I have test on your data but can't reproduce your issue as below, could you share your PBIX if possible?

捕获.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuta-msft

You are reproducing my problem. In your table I'd like the measure to show the value from 110 while keeping other filters applied. 

I've made some progress and I have a working expression with a static baseline year. Now I only have to make it dynamic, which is arguably the hardest part. 

Index (2014):=
  divide(
    sum('Data'[value]),
    calculate(sum('Data'[value]),
      filter(
        ALLEXCEPT('Data','Data'[Slicer1],'Data'[Slicer2]),
          'Data'[Year]=2014
)
)
) *100

Apologies if I'm being unclear, but in Index (2014) I'd like to replace 2014 with the lowest selected year in the year slicer. 

Hi Danielgadhas ,

The result of a measure is based on current filtered context, so I'm afraid using a measure can't achieve your requirement, you should use calculate column instead.

Column = calculate(sum(Data[Value]), FILTER(all(Data), Data[Year]=min(Data[Year])))

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuta-msft

Ok, I will consider using a calculated column and alternatively make more than one measure. 

Thanks for your help 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.