Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

subhashree_r
Helper I
Helper I

Incremental refresh sql server problem

Hello all,
I had created a sales table consisting of 2years of data in the SQL server and then connected this table to PBI desktop and set all the necessary things for incremental refresh and published it in the service. In the service I had setup the gate way connection.
Now if I change any historical record that has been saved in the service and refresh it, ideally there shouldn't be any change in the table but it is changing in my scenario. How do I go about with this problem ??
5 REPLIES 5
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

According to your description, i think if you make any change on Power BI Service, it will be saved as well, which is not related to that on Power BI Desktop.

Power BI Service is not only a shared platform but also an operable platform.

Incremental refresh reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh 

If i misunderstand your issue, please give more info for me to help you further.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Hi @v-gizhi-msft , 

I updated the historical data at the SQL Server .

Given below will give you glimpse the historical data 

order_no.order_date cust_name sale 
111.10.1995suba1000
211.12.1996ramesh2000

Give below is the update statement given in sql server is as given below :

update table_name set cust_name = Ramesh kumar where order_no = 2 
From my understanding , ideally the cust_name shouldn't change but in the PBI service the update statement is reflected.

Hi,

It is because you have set the gateway connection, so if you change the data in SQL Server, when you try manual refresh on Power BI Service, it will reflect as well, without using publish function on Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Hey @v-gizhi-msft , 

I created the report in desktop and then only published it in the service.  I'am not able to understand the problem statement. 

It would be great if you can guide me with the does and dont's that need to be followed while doing incremental refresh. 

Given that I have gone through all the microsoft documentaion for incremental refresh. 

Hi,

I think it maybe the reason that you have set the too longer refresh year including 1996.

Could you please share your incremental refresh configuration on Power BI Desktop as a screenshot here?

Thanks!

Expect your reply!

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.