Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incremental refresh - "Store rows" based on specific start date (instead of time period)?

Hi All,

Just wanted to confirm: when setting up an Incremental Refresh, it appears it's only possible to define the 'Store rows in the last' as a time period (e.g. 30 days, etc).

jeffing_1-1632964100210.png

Is there any way to tell the incremental refresh 'Store rows' based on a specific start date instead, or change this value dynamically/automatically (e.g. days since date)?

E.g. if my data has a start date of 1 September 2021, I could set 'Store rows in the last' 30 days, but from tomorrow it will start purging data after the 1st.

I could increase this time period to a higher value - but has it's own problems, either:

- I have to remember to come back and change the value higher as it reaches time period, or

- results in unnecessary calls/refreshes to the data source for days worth of data that doesn't exist.

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

that's not how partitions work.  They are on Day, Month, Quarter and Year granularity level, and they only work with UTC datetime stamps and regular calendars (not fiscal calendars)

So when you say "Last 30 days" this will be translated by the partition engine and it will then decide which partitions to refresh, which to consolidate, and which to leave alone.

If you want more control you will want to read up on XMLA endpoints and MDX queries to manipulate individual partitions.

Advanced incremental refresh with the XMLA endpoint in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.