Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incremental refresh - publish

Community -  I am not clear on this comment below from the documentation.    

Let's say I set up incremental refresh on a dataset.   Publish.   Then I get asked to create a new measure on that dataset, and I re-publish it.   Does this mean the incremenatal refresh is now no longer valid?

Incremental refresh for datasets in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Configuring incremental refresh is done in Power BI Desktop. For most models, only a few tasks are required. However, keep the following in mind:

• When published to the service, you can't publish the same model again from Power BI Desktop. Republishing would remove any existing partitions and data already in the dataset.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Essentially correct. The dataset would be replaced by whatever is in the PBIX file. You can avoid this by using something like ALM Tooklit or Tabular Editor. ALM Toolkit allows you to compare a dataset in the Service (Premium) with a PBIX, identify the model differences and update the model (not the data) with just the changes identified.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

re-publishing a dataset Power BI Desktop will re-create the initial partitions, meaning an initial load will be necessary. Things can become more and more complex, as on a certain point in time the initial load will no longer succeed due to the amount of data.

It's very complex to use incremental refresh without having a Premium capacity. A Premium capacity provides the feature: XMLA endpoint. The XMLA endpoint can be used by the ALM Toolkit (http://alm-toolkit.com/). The ALM toolkit allows to deploy a measure without overwriting the existing partitions.

Hopefully, this provides some new ideas on how you can tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Essentially correct. The dataset would be replaced by whatever is in the PBIX file. You can avoid this by using something like ALM Tooklit or Tabular Editor. ALM Toolkit allows you to compare a dataset in the Service (Premium) with a PBIX, identify the model differences and update the model (not the data) with just the changes identified.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors