Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

skootz
Frequent Visitor

Incremental refresh - power bi refresh automatically

Good morning all ,
I implemented an incremental refresh.
https://www.thebiccountant.com/2017/01/11/incremental-load-in-powerbi-using-dax-union/
I created 3 tables a "don'trefresh", a "refresh" and an "append" which is the addition of "don'trefresh" and "refresh". I have disabled the option "include in refresh report" on the table "dontrefresh". The result in power bi is correct unfortunately when I go back to power query to create another table or modify some things, it updates me all the tables, even the "dontrefresh" ...
What solution do you offer me?
Thanks for your help.

8 REPLIES 8
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @skootz  ,

Do the suggestions from engineers make sense? If so, kindly mark the proper reply as a solution to help others having the similar issue and close the case. If not, let me know and I'll try to help you further.

Best regards

Amy

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@ImkeF 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

You send me a message about my issue ? 

Thanks

Hi @skootz ,

this is an old workaround during the days when didn't have incremental refresh with pro-licenses. 
I wouldn't recommed it any more.

With regards to the refresh you can try to disable background refresh in the query options, but I haven't tried if this solves this yet.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

skootz
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your response :

I have already configured the incremental refresh without these 3 tables, only, I have encountered a problem :

I set up an incremental refresh on a table. I have a problem: it adds my new recordings to the table, but it does not keep the old ones. example: I have the records of my table Tab1 dated 08/31

refresh 09/03 : addition of 09/02 records BUT REMOVAL of 08/31 records ... it does not keep in stock the 10 years that I have configured.

Tab1 to 02/09
08/31 : 5000 records

09/01 : 1000 records

Tab1 to 03/09
09/01 ---> 1000 records 

09/02 ---> 200 records

Do you have a solution for me for this ?

Hi @skootz ,

sorry, but I don't have a solution for this.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

skootz
Frequent Visitor

Incremental refresh stores daily (if set like that) new records based on a RangeStart and RangeEnd (date / time) filter ?  I ask it to update every day and store me on 5 years but it does not store anything it updates the table for me and deletes the records from 08/31 when it should keep them.

Thanks,

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @skootz ,

The filter on the date column is used to dynamically partition the data into ranges in the Power BI service. Incremental refresh isn't designed to support cases where the filtered date column is updated in the source system. An update is interpreted as an insertion and a deletion, not an actual update. If the deletion occurs in the historical range and not the incremental range, it won't get picked up. This can cause data refresh failures due to partition-key conflicts.

For reference:

Incremental refresh in Power BI

Best Regards,

Amy 

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.