Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ezarebska
Frequent Visitor

Incremental refresh custom solution

Hi,
I have a question if it is possible to set up an incremental refresh in Power BI for a data source that does not support query folding.
In our case data source for Power BI is Elastic Search. As there is no native connector we implemented REST API endpoint + power query M script that query data in batches using elastic scroll API. Currently, one-time refresh takes about 1,5 hour and consumes ~ 5GB of memory which becomes problematic.
Is it possible to somehow combine custom data source which is API endpoint and incremental refresh?

BR

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ezarebska ,

Current power bi does not support to do custom on incremental refresh feature, maybe you can submit an idea for this requirement.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

thanks for your reply @v-shex-msft . How about a solution that power query M script would call my API endpoint with parameters RangeStart and RangeEnd? Question is if the received data batch will override existing data or just add new entries. 

BR

HI @ezarebska ,

If the performance issue is caused by invoking web connectors with API to many times, I also not find effective solutions to increase performance. 

Maybe you can try to add buffer functions to confirm if they work on your scenario.

How and When to use List & Table Buffer? 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.