Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Marc-Alexis
Frequent Visitor

Incremental refresh - Alternate RangeStart and RangeEnd

Dear PBI gurus,

I am currently implementing a model with the incremental refresh functionality.

The issue I am facing is that one of the tables would require alternate RangeStart and RangeEnd than the other tables.

Since RangeStart and RangeEnd are reserved, I was wondering there was a way to sort of create RangeStart2 and RangeEnd2 which would still enable the incremental refresh.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Lionel,

Thank you for your answer. Actually, whilst it is indeed impossible to set alternate RangeStart nor RangeEnd, it is possible at a later stage to change different archive and refresh periods by table.

incremental.png

I will confirm when fully implemented

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Marc-Alexis ,

No, It's impossible to achieve the idea in current version( 2.81.5831.821 64-bit (May 2020)).

ee4.PNG

But you don't need to set two sets of parameters.

ee5.PNG

All You Need to Know About the Incremental Refresh in Power BI: Load Changes Only 

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Lionel,

Thank you for your answer. Actually, whilst it is indeed impossible to set alternate RangeStart nor RangeEnd, it is possible at a later stage to change different archive and refresh periods by table.

incremental.png

I will confirm when fully implemented

It is possible to modify RangeStart and RangeEnd using functions in Power Query (checkout guyinacubes latest youtube video for how to implement this)

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Marc-Alexis , Can you explain with an example.

I think every table can have its won date if needed

https://radacad.com/all-you-need-to-know-about-the-incremental-refresh-in-power-bi-load-changes-only

For instance, 3 tables are relying on a RangeStart=01/01/2017 and RangeEnd=01/01/2050 with the rows in the past 3 years stored and a resfresh for the rows in the last 60 days.

The other table of the same PBI would require an incremental refresh with the following attributes:

RangeStart=01/01/2000 and RangeEnd=01/01/2050 with also the rows in the past 3 years stored and a resfresh for the rows in the last 60 days.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.