Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

harib
Post Patron
Post Patron

Incremental Refresh with Limited Data

I have a data like 20 millions for 3 year.

My requirment is  , I would like to load 1 month data in the desktop for development and also needs to implement incremental refresh. 

I have a Date field like this  (3/1/2018 12:00:00 AM) and I'm able create and define the parameters to that field. But only the thing is i would like to load 1 month data in the Desktop and reamining data would like to load in service.

Is there any possibilities to achive this.

Thanks in Advance

2 REPLIES 2
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @harib ,

unfortunately, it's not that simple, this is because of the initial load.

Basically, it's not possible to chunk existing data and load just a portion into Power BI Desktop and the remaining chunks will be loaded during the 1st load on the Service. Incremental refresh works exactly that way, but unfortunately, it's assuming that data is growing over time and not already there 🙂
If your workspace is backed by a premium license like P or Premium user this article might help you: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/incremental-refresh-xmla?WT.mc_id=DP-MVP-5003...

Please be aware that using advanced partition management requires some experience. If you are going down the road of partitions, it's also a good idea to start using the ALM-toolkit and Tabular Editor. Next to that separate your development into two pbix files one is used for the data model and the configuration of the incremental and the 2nd one is used for the development of the content: meaning your data visualizations.

The data source for the 2nd pbix file is the Power BI dataset created after publishing the 1st pbix file.

Hopefully, this adds some useful information.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Yes, that is standard functionality.  You can define values for RangeStart and RangeEnd in the Power Query parameters dialogue that limit your development date range.  These values have no impact whatsoever (*) on the actual implementation of incremental refresh (which is controlled by the retention and refrehs periods).

*) well, sort of.  Whenever you re-publish the pbix file the users will briefly see data for your dev date range until the regular incremental refresh completes again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.