Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ljx0648
Helper I
Helper I

Incremental Refresh using date column

Hi guys,

I am trying to set up incremental refresh on my dashboard but I am stuck with how to refresh using the date column in the source data.

1st, I have already set up the RangeStart and RangeEnd in PBI desktop

ljx0648_0-1671825946575.png

But I am stuck at the step at where I have to refresh using the date column from the source table. The format of the date column as per below (yyyy-MM-dd) DATE format

ljx0648_1-1671826041207.png

And since I am pulling directly from the source data (using ODBC connection).  I do not have any authority to make changes on the source table, thus it is not possible to make any sort of change on the date column to 'yyyyMMdd' or any other modifications. 

(yyyy-MM-dd) DATE format is the only column I can use. 

After tons of research, I have tried the code below and it returns zero row:

Select sum(sales) as sales, sum(cost) as cost, sum(profit) as profit, date

from sales_table 

where date => ' " & Datetime.Date (RangeStart) & " ' 

group by date

I am aware that Datetime.Date function can only return the date format like "DD/MM/YY", but I am not able to find anything on how to convert the RangeStart parameter to (yyyy-MM-dd) DATE format. I have tried the Datetime.Totext function but it can only returns (yyyy-MM-dd) STRING format, which is not DATE.

Lastly, I will need to sum the numbers from source as there are more than 10 million rows in the source table, thus the calculation functions are required in the SQL statement as well.

Any suggest would be appreciated! 

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ljx0648 , Based on what I got, a column in format YYYY-MM-DD can be marked as datetime in power query

or you can use DateTime.FromText

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/datetime-fromtext

Power BI Incremental Refresh Pro; Premium Deployment pipeline - https://youtu.be/nIxTRdeCYSE

Hi @amitchandak ,

Thank you for your suggestion here.

However, I need to convert the Parameters (RangeStart & RangeEnd) using the SQL statement when I import the Data import powerbi in the import section. (because I need to sum and group variables from the source table as I will not be pulling millions of records into PBI at the first place)

In other words, I am looking for a method/function to finish the convert when the data is being import to PBI desktop, before I can convert the column inside PBI

This is the SQL I am using:

Select sum(sales) as sales, sum(cost) as cost, sum(profit) as profit, date

from sales_table 

where date => ' " & Datetime.Date (RangeStart) & " ' 

group by date

May I know if there is any modification I can do to the above statement so the data can first be pull after the RangeStart then sum & group into PBI desktop? 

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.