Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mg01
Helper I
Helper I

Incremental Refresh initial load in Power Query Editor

For Incremental Refresh, I found initial we have to load full data in Power Query Editor, in my datasource table. There are millions of records so it is not possible to load entire data. Is there any way we can do full load or some partial load then we applies RangeStart and RangeEnd parameter and define incremental policy. Please Guide...

Thanks in Advance!

3 REPLIES 3
mg01
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @LP280388,

Here I have two questions:

1) Are you doing parameter concept after importing full data in Power BI Query or first you are apply parameter initially at query level?

2) Has you are saying to implement parameters, will it support RLS in Power BI Service when I want to implement RLS in the report?

@mg01 We are not importing full data.   we have to add parameter initially to limit the number of records. 
for your second question, RLS and Parameterizing are two different things.  

RLS is purely based on a column where you have matching records. You can implement it along with parameters

LP280388
Resolver II
Resolver II

@mg01 
In one of our cases, I did similar approach to not to load all data in powerbi desktop.  In the below code I have set the parameter with True/false value. You can create a similar parameter with "NoOfRecords" and then implement your incremental refresh and publish.  Change the parameter value in the PowerBI Services. 

Following these steps we did:

1. Create a Test Parameter in Dataset called NoData and set it to True
  2. Insert the following condition in all Tables MQuery :

#"DataCheck" = if Text.Contains(NoData,"True") then Table.RemoveLastN(CUSTOMER_Table,(Table.RowCount(CUSTOMER_Table))) else Table.RemoveLastN(CUSTOMER_Table,0)

This will truncate all data from the tables.

1. After publishing the dataset, goto Dataset Settings > Parameters and change the Value of NoData parameter to something else.

The above is not a straight answer to your question, but a good opportunity to take this as a reference and implement your own version 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.