Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JoyH
Helper I
Helper I

Incremental Refresh - historical data updates

Hi!

One of our tables has 80M rows.

Each row contains the insert_dtm (the datetime the row was created) and update_dtm (the datetime the row was last updated).

During the incremental refresh, we need to add the new rows created yesterday and update any rows that were updated yesterday.  It's possible that a row from 2018 will get updated yesterday and we need to capture that update.

I have tried many combinations of the incremental refresh policy and the only one that seems to work is:

Store for 5 years on insert_dtm

Update 60 months on insert_dtm

Detect changes for 60 months on update_dtm

...but this seems very inefficient as the database appears to get hit 120 times. Is there a better way to configure the refresh policy?

2 REPLIES 2
V-lianl-msft
Community Support
Community Support

The open-source Tabular Editor 2 tool provides an easy way to bootstrap an initial refresh operation. After publishing a model with an incremental refresh policy defined for it from Power BI Desktop to the service, connect to the dataset by using the XMLA endpoint in Read/Write mode. Run Apply Refresh Policy on the incremental refresh table. With only the policy applied, partitions are created but no data is loaded into them. Then connect with SSMS to refresh the partitions sequentially or in batches to load and process the data. To learn more, see Incremental refresh in Tabular Editor docs.

See if this blog will help:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/incremental-refresh-xmla 

Hi @JoyH ,

I think you can not optimize it, because each month partition must be checked for updates.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.