Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Chris99
Advocate III
Advocate III

Incremental Refresh for Column of Type Date

I am trying to configure Incremental Refresh in the desktop. However I seem to have immediately hit an issue which seems to limit it's usability. I am using SQL Server views to reduce the data exposed to Power BI, and as per best practices there are no DateTime columns in the data model as this would massively increase the size of the data model. Instead all such values in the model are of type Date.

If I understand it correctly, Incremental Refresh only works with DateTime for both the parameters and the data model columns. Is there a way of being able to apply the RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters to a Date column?

Thanks,

Chris

5 REPLIES 5
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Chris99 

If the above posts help, please kindly mark it as a answer to help others find it more quickly. thanks!

If not, please kindly elaborate more.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Chris99 Can you just create a view where you add an additional column that duplicates your original date column and and cast it to date/time? Or, this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-incremental-refresh

While the data type of the parameters must be date/time, it's possible to convert them to match the requirements of the datasource. For example, the following Power Query function converts a date/time value to resemble an integer surrogate key of the form yyyymmdd, which is common for data warehouses. The function can be called by the filter step.

(x as datetime) => Date.Year(x)*10000 + Date.Month(x)*100 + Date.Day(x)

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler 

Thanks for this. I'm loathe to add an additional column that duplicates the Date column, but this is a route I could explore.

How do I convert the parameters from DateTime to just Date? I'm not sure where you apply PowerQuery to their use?

I'm currently sidelined on other work, but hope to return to this soon.

Chris

PS @Microsoft : Can you please add support for other data types to Incremental Refresh, or at least support conversion of source data type to DateTime if there is no loss of data?

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Chris99 , Have tried configuration with date as data type?

HI can you plrase help I am also unble to apply incremental refresh for date column
Can you please help in setting up

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.