Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

apollo89
Helper II
Helper II

Incremental Refresh YYYYMM datatype INT/STR

Hi All,

I am configuring incremental refresh according to documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh

The difference here is that our databases have the dates in the formats of YYYYMM/YYYYMMM as integer or string data types.

The hint in the document mentions to place this query in the filter step to convert to an integer: (x as datetime) => Date.Year(x)*10000 + Date.Month(x)*100 + Date.Day(x)

I am confused as to where this filter step is as once I create the parameters I only see the date/time I provided in the current value.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for your response.

I did manage to create the function.

I'll describe my solution in case it helps anyone.

My data had date related fields in the format of YYYYMM and YYYYMMM in string format.

To convert the RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters into string,

Edit Queries > New Source > Blank Query

let
Source = (x as datetime) => Text.From(Date.Year(x)) & Text.PadStart(Text.From(Date.Month(x)),2,"0")
in
Source

In case data format is YYYYMMM, change the 2 to 3.

Since I was using custom SQL, I called the function as a filter in the WHERE clause.

FISCAL_MONTH >= '"&INCREFFUNC(RangeStart)&"' and FISCAL_MONTH  < '"&INCREFFUNC(RangeEnd)&"'

where INCREFFUNC is the name of the function I created.

After doing these steps, incremental refresh works!

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi apollo89 ,

You should click editor query-> advanced editor and add this custom function there.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for your reply.

When you say custom function in advanced editor, what do you mean? I don't see an option for a custom function there.

I tried to do following:

Capture.PNG

which gave me

Capture.PNG 

I also tried another way as mentioned in https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Incremental-refresh-with-ID-YYYYMMDD/td-p/437844

Capture.PNG

which gives me a blank table

Capture.PNG

I have defined the parameters as mentioned in the documentation and the dates in the table are part of the parameter range.

Anything I am doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Jimmy,

Thank you for your response.

I did manage to create the function.

I'll describe my solution in case it helps anyone.

My data had date related fields in the format of YYYYMM and YYYYMMM in string format.

To convert the RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters into string,

Edit Queries > New Source > Blank Query

let
Source = (x as datetime) => Text.From(Date.Year(x)) & Text.PadStart(Text.From(Date.Month(x)),2,"0")
in
Source

In case data format is YYYYMMM, change the 2 to 3.

Since I was using custom SQL, I called the function as a filter in the WHERE clause.

FISCAL_MONTH >= '"&INCREFFUNC(RangeStart)&"' and FISCAL_MONTH  < '"&INCREFFUNC(RangeEnd)&"'

where INCREFFUNC is the name of the function I created.

After doing these steps, incremental refresh works!

Hope this helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.