Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

npowerbi
Helper I
Helper I

Incremental Refresh : RangeStart and RangeEnd Values

Experts,

I am trying to implement incremental refresh. I have defined RangeStart and RangeEnd parameters as well. I have already refresh my dataset till today that means I have all the rows from the database available in PowerBI.

How should I go about defining RangeStart and RangeEnd values?

Is it possible to detine RangeEnd to take today's date/time value by default? How?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
answeriver
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi all,
I have pro version of power bi, and I have incremental refresh option, is it will work on pro version?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wanted to clarify that incremental refresh as of May 28th 2020 is only available with Premium capacity.

I make steps with add rangestart and rangeend e.t.c. but download anyway all period.
And I don't understand what is range end? If I have last date in data entry 29 of January, is it rangeend? But tomorrow this rangeend is not actual because add data of 30 January.
Sorry for my English
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @npowerbi,

You can set the proper range as you need. Once the incremental refresh is set up and the file is uploaded to the Service, these two parameters will be overwritten. That means the incremental refresh will take over the range of data and retrieve the new data. Please refer to service-premium-incremental-refresh#rangestart-and-rangeend-parameters and service-premium-incremental-refresh#refresh-ranges.

>>>Once published, the parameter values are overridden automatically by the Power BI service. There is no need to set them in dataset settings in the service.

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Dale for your reply. I tried to set up the incremental refresh for HANA as per steps you have provided in the link however I am getting an error for every refresh. Any idea what might be the issue?

Last refresh failed: Tue Sep 11 2018 17:02:33 GMT+0530 (India Standard Time)
Cancellation occurred when sending or receiving a request.Hide details
Cluster URI:    WABI-US-EAST2-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID:    9d34cc72-36fb-4323-80b2-9bbd9a3c02ab
Request ID:    d5ff6e31-8525-4daa-bf61-af082ef3875b
Time:    2018-09-11 11:32:33Z

Hi @npowerbi,

I have found an error message. Please check your Messages for details. 

The database operation was cancelled because of an earlier failure.Description="Column 'P****r' in
Table 'C******ew' contains a duplicate value 'C**********3' and this is not allowed for columns on
the one side of a many-to-one relationship or for columns that are used as the primary key of a table."

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Dale, I am hoping that the message you have mentioned is a generic error and not the one I am referring to. Becuase my table does not have any PO number field nor my model has multiple tables.

I am just working on one sample custom table in HANA for incremental refresh and I hope you are referring to possibility of duplicate rows in the dataset. I will check and will let you know. Thanks for the pointer.

Nitin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.