Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jpt1228
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Incremental Refresh Date Parameters

Hello - I want to get one of my data models on the incremental refresh. I have not used parameters before. From what I understand I need to go into the Query Editor and create 2 Parameters - DateStart and DateEnd (Or whatever you want to name them OR do they need to be called RangeStart and RangeEnd?). In the below example for Current Value it shows 1/01/2010 12:00:00 AM - Is this just a text field or does it need to be dynamic or formula driven?

Then I filter my data table on is after or equal to: Parameter DateStart and is before or equal to Parameter DateEnd. This returns a blank table becasue the DateStart and DateEnd current value is 1/1/2019 12:00:00 AM in both of my variables. I am not sure if this is normal and then the incremental refresh manages the parameters or what.

Maybe I don't even need to enter the parameters with the new release and just setup incremental refresh?

PBI Incremental Refresh 

parameter.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jpt1228 ,

Answers for your questions are:

1.Yes, Paratemer needs to be called RangeStart and RangeEnd.

2.Yes,you did right.

I guess you have understood how to set the Incremental Refresh,just have a try,be sure that you do it in a Premium account.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jpt1228
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Here is an additional explaination for the incremental refresh.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Important-Considerations-for-Setting-up-Incremental-...

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jpt1228

1.For Current Value,it is just a text field .

2.Verify queries have an equal to (=) on either RangeStart or RangeEnd, but not both. If the equal to (=) exists on both parameters, a row could satisfy the conditions for two partitions, which could lead to duplicate data in the model. For example,
#"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(dbo_Fact, each [OrderDate] >= RangeStart and [OrderDate] <= RangeEnd) could result in duplicate data.So you cant filter your data table on is after or equal to: Parameter DateStart and is before or equal to Parameter DateEnd.

Here is the reference.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Hello @v-kelly-msft  @parry2k  - I have read that post. So from what I understand the field is text, but am confused why there are formulas in the examples.

My 2 questions are:

1) Does the Paratemer need to be called RangeStart and RangeEnd? Or is this just a name of the parameter and has no impact on the functionality?

2) Then on the data table in the query editor I filter the specific column in the parameter to is on or after the start parameter and before the end parameter?

Then close and apply and select table I want to incremental refresh and select amount of time to keep and amount of time to refresh and then publish to the service?

I suppose just looking for some plain language rather than copy and paste from the post.

Thanks

Hi @jpt1228 ,

Answers for your questions are:

1.Yes, Paratemer needs to be called RangeStart and RangeEnd.

2.Yes,you did right.

I guess you have understood how to set the Incremental Refresh,just have a try,be sure that you do it in a Premium account.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Hello @v-kelly-msft  I have configured the data model to incremental refresh as noted above. When I publish to the service and try to refresh I get the following error:

Capture.JPG

You mentioned it needs to be a premium account but in the Feb update it is now included in the pro version.

Thanks

Jon

@jpt1228 everything is so well explained in the post and not sure how better it can be explained. I would recommend to test it, just follow the instructions and I'm sure you will get your answer and after that if you are not sure then post your questions. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@v-kelly-msft not sure what you mean by text field.  you cannot just type random value there, if you have selected parameter type to be date/time then it has to be valid date/time value, not sure what you mean by text. Can you clarify?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hi @parry2k ,

As @jpt1228 asked " Is this just a text field or does it need to be dynamic or formula driven?",I just followed his understanding to say it is a text field,I just wanna tell him it is not formula driven or dynamic automatically.

But I know it's not a rigorous saying,thank you for correcting me.

Best Regards,
Kelly

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jpt1228 this post has all the details. 

@jpt1228 it is date/time as you can see in the post.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.