Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ankit48365
Regular Visitor

Incremental Options Disabled

Hi Guys,

I was trying to create a very simple report to reflect a daily changing value of a variable using incremental load on a date column.

as per various tutorials, i have created the start range end range, and was able to filter my data with that range. but when i initialize the incremental policy then it is greyed out, with an message that initialize start and end date paramters to use this feature.

i have checked everything, please let me know, what i am missing.incremental.JPG

8 REPLIES 8
v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @ankit48365 

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you in time for a holiday.

According to the error, I guess the parameter is not set correctly.

Please try to change the parameter type to date and time.

v-angzheng-msft_0-1620610846625.png

Is this the result you want? Hope this is useful to you

Please feel free to let me know If you have further questions.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Zeon Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-angzheng-msft , but changing to Date/Time or Date alone, either way does not solve the problem. I think its a bug, because the error is not revealing any details. I have also checked into Import vs Direct Query options. I just cannot get this function to work. 

i think, Microsoft should work on it as a Bug, Update documentation around it. Clearly mention that Range does not work on Date option alone (however it totally should,)... we are just in ambiguity right now and blindly trying diffrent options to some how make the configuration work.

Hi, @ankit48365 

Thank you very much for trying, and I'm sorry that my proposed method didn't work. If you followed the step-by-step instructions in the documentation and still got an error, you can try to post your issues.

You could check the Issues forum here:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

Hope this is useful to you.

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

v-angzheng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @ankit48365 

According to the warning in the above screenshot, you have not configured the required parameters properly

v-angzheng-msft_0-1620296294753.jpeg

Please refer to the reference document below for details

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/incremental-refresh-overview

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/incremental-refresh-configure

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/incremental-refresh-xmla

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/incremental-refresh-troubleshoot

Is this the result you want? Hope this is useful to you

Please feel free to let me know If you have further questions

Best Regards,

Appreciate you quick response, as i mentioned in my post, i did create the range, below is the screen shot, and there only one table in my report. then why it is not picking the range.

incrementrange.JPG

Hi, @ankit48365 

I'm sorry that I didn't remind you of this. For the two parameters, they must be fixed and can't be customized. In other words, your parameters must also be "RangeStart" and "RangeEnd", which are case sensitive.

v-angzheng-msft_0-1620298936860.png

Now it's time for me to get off work. If you have other questions, I'm sorry that I may not be able to reply in time. Here I would like to say sorry first. If you have further questions, you can refer to the attached document link above, maybe the document has the answers you need, of course, I will follow up after I come back to work, I hope it is useful for you.

Best Regards,

Step 1: My Source (changed to a CSV file to make things simpler, earlier it was a table in excel.)

ankit48365_0-1620315900897.png

Step2:

Defined Range 

ankit48365_1-1620316017430.png

Step3: Defined filter using RangeStart & RangeEnd on Date Column. (Save and close power query editor)

ankit48365_2-1620316143781.png

Step 4: right click data field in FIELDS pane on the right and choose Incremental Refresh.

ankit48365_3-1620316355325.png

RESULT 

ankit48365_4-1620316428349.png

Also, i upgraded to Power BI premium plan, it wasnt giving that error, but still i upgraded to it, saved , closed and reopened, no change.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.