Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Rajesh_G
Helper I
Helper I

Increasing the row limit on custom visuals

Hi Everyone

How does one increase the row limit on a custom visual which I think is currently a standard of 10000? Also, what is the maximum amount of rows possible? 

Kind regards

Rajesh

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Rajesh_G,

It depends on the dataReductionAlgorithm session in capabilities.json, you can modify the size which can be exposed to visual in power bi desktop. For more details, please refer to: https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-visuals/issues/44.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi Jimmy

Thank you for the advise, I have tried that but when I click save on the capabilities.json file and close it and then open the Power BI file with the custom visual, nothing changes. Even if I delete the custom visual and re-import it, theres nothing different. Could you advise me further? Is there perhaps something wrong with my version of Power BI? Or even the way the Custom visual was coded?

Thanks

Rajesh

Hi Rajesh_G,

How many rows do you show in a custom visual? Currently, the maximun limit is 30000 rows, please refer to: https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-visuals/issues/209. In addtion, if you are using custom visual, you can modify the 'count' value to any integer value up to 30000. R-based custom visuals can support up to 150000 rows. Please refer to: https://github.com/Microsoft/PowerBI-visuals/blob/master/Capabilities/DataViewMappings.md#data-reduc....

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi Jimmy

I am trying to plot about 700 000 rows - are you saying it won't be possible using custom visuals and that if I want to plot such I should use R-Script - however noting that there will be a limitation of 150 000 rows?

Kind regards

Rajesh

Hi Rajesh_G,

Yes, there's row, column and datasize limitation in power bi, you can find more details in the official documentation. If you have solved your problem, could you mark this answer to finish this case?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi Jimmy

Thank you for your response - could you provide me with a link to the documentation? Also, why are there such low limits? Unfortunately I can't mark anthing as a solution as this problem is still not solved - I've tried making a change to the JSON file but no change is actually implemented even if I just change it from 10000 to 30000.

Kind regards

Rajesh

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.