Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Matthias93
Helper III
Helper III

Increasing performance of a desktop report

Hi,

I currently have a dashboard based on 5 excels and 10 SharePoint lists. To increase the speed of this report I have done mulitple things: 

• Deleted columns I don't need (will it make a difference if it is het last of the applied steps on a query or if you do it when loading the query?)
  • Fiddled with the data load settings (no preview loading and no data/time loading)
  • Minimized string columns to a certain extend

After doing this the report is still quite slow. Note that the lists and excels are very small at the moment. No more than 10 lines each. With no query having more than 10 columns. I do have a fair amount of slicers on each page (around 6) and read that this could slow down performance. I also have some measures using the 'filter' function, but find no other way of writing them. 

Does anyone have any experience with this? And how have you resolved it?

Kind regards,
Matt

3 REPLIES 3
Matthias93
Helper III
Helper III

bump

Hi @Matthias93,

Power BI is fast, and the columnar data store is forgiving of large data sets. If you find that your Power BI desktop solution is slowing down or that the refresh of a published BI data set takes a very long time review here is a blog which descirbes some tips to help you streamline your data model and reports.

http://blog.pragmaticworks.com/power-bi-performance-tips-and-techniques

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Thank you, I will read it and make some improvements

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.