Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

poojik
Frequent Visitor

Incorrect sum calculated

I have created a calculated field which is a combined filed of 2 already existing fields. The formula I have used is : 

Combined Units = if(ISBLANK(SUM(accounts[totalvotes])), SUM(accounts[units]), SUM(accounts[totalvotes]))

But the sum of combined units is not correct. Screen-shot attached. 

text.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @poojik,

I'm assuming that you are using a measure, in this case the calculations are made taking into account the context of the formula, so when you get to the total it's also calculated in that way and not the sum of the previous values, you need to place that value around aggregator.

Create a second measure with the following code to use on your table:

Measure 2 =
IF ( HASONEFILTER ( Table[Name] ); [Combined Units]; SUMX ( Table; Combined Units] ) )

For better performance change the Table in the SUMX by ALL( Colum 1 , column 2, ...) and choose all the columns need for grouping/sorting instead of placing the all table.

Ths formula calculate the measure on every single row, and on the total since it has no value it sums the previous rows.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

HI @poojik,

When you do a measure it's calculated based on context, so the formula that you have is calculating the division by the current row it will give you 1, you need to something like this:

One third of Unit Count =
IF (
    accounts[Combined Units]
        < CALCULATE ( ( SUM ( accounts[Unit Count] ) / 3 ), ALL ( Accounts[Unit Count] ) ),
    "Less than one thrid",
    "Greater than one third"
)

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @poojik,

I'm assuming that you are using a measure, in this case the calculations are made taking into account the context of the formula, so when you get to the total it's also calculated in that way and not the sum of the previous values, you need to place that value around aggregator.

Create a second measure with the following code to use on your table:

Measure 2 =
IF ( HASONEFILTER ( Table[Name] ); [Combined Units]; SUMX ( Table; Combined Units] ) )

For better performance change the Table in the SUMX by ALL( Colum 1 , column 2, ...) and choose all the columns need for grouping/sorting instead of placing the all table.

Ths formula calculate the measure on every single row, and on the total since it has no value it sums the previous rows.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

poojik
Frequent Visitor

Thank you very much @MFelix this works. But logically I don't understand the logic behind HASONEFILTER(Table[Name]) . 

Hi @poojik,

The HASONEFILTER check if in the current context (line) there is a name if it exists a name then it return the measure, if there is no name total or subtotal rows then it make the sum of the previous lines SUMX

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

poojik
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @MFelix ! Makes sense. 

Once the sum is calculated I am trying to filter all those accounts with "Combined units" less than one third of "unit count". To do that I have created another calculated field : 

One third of Unit Count = IF((accounts[Combined Units] < (SUM(accounts[Unit Count])/3)), "Less than one thrid", "Greater than one third")

When I tried to count Accounts it only shows "Less than one third" but not showing "greater than one third". (screen-shot attached)

Unit count not showing.png

HI @poojik,

When you do a measure it's calculated based on context, so the formula that you have is calculating the division by the current row it will give you 1, you need to something like this:

One third of Unit Count =
IF (
    accounts[Combined Units]
        < CALCULATE ( ( SUM ( accounts[Unit Count] ) / 3 ), ALL ( Accounts[Unit Count] ) ),
    "Less than one thrid",
    "Greater than one third"
)

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.