Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MPL Visitor
Visitor

Re: Incorrect map location

I am not getting the following two cities to map correctly:

Springfield, Missouri, USA

Columbia, Missouri, USA

Regardless if I combine city, state, and country into a single field and categorize it as City, or have separate fields with their own respective categories, the locations are not being mapped correctly.

When combining them into a single field neither one shows up on the map.  Separate fields places Springfield in Illinois and Columbia in South Carolina.

After further testing, I was able to get the two cities to map correctly when combining city, state and country into a single field as shown above and setting the category to either Place or Continent.  Neither seems appropriate, but they worked.

CharlesK Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Jesus!! this worked like gold!!

i'm in Kenya so Maps couldnt find aaaany of my towns....

so i read this and did it kinda half assed...

i put "Kenya-" infront of every town name.

it found each and every single town!!!!!

Kudos sir.

Highlighted
_seanrich_ Visitor
Visitor

The address data that I'm using comes from sources that I have no control over, so it appears that these addresses are pulled from Google Maps, or unreliable sources. What I ended up doing was finding the address exactly as it is in Bing, and creating a manual table to relate my dataset addresses to the Bing addresses, and replacing them via a calculated column. Example below.

• I have a table in my dataset with the address field; we'll call it Dataset[Address].
  • Manually created table is named MappedAddresses with columns MappedAddresses[DatasetAddress] and MappedAddresses[MapAddress] (with MapAddress being the Bing address).

Two new columns are created in Dataset as follows:

MappedAddress = RELATED(MappedAddresses[MapAddress])

ReplacedAddress = IF( ISBLANK('Dataset[MappedAddress]), Dataset[Address], Dataset[MappedAddress] )

This is pulling the new Bing address (MappedAddress) where needed, but keeping the dataset address where plotted correctly. I'm using the Dataset[ReplacedAddress] column to plot these datapoints on the Map visualization.

smgt90 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, this tip helped me but I put the country then the state and then the city all separated by a space. I tried sorting it as city "space" state and it didn't work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Join us in the third Triple A event!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're celebrating the start of the New Super User season with our first ever Super User 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

We are super excited for our update this month, as we are releasing two of our top community requests!

Power Platform Online Conference

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

Top Solution Authors