Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

valers
Regular Visitor

Incorrect grand totals (EXCEL, POWER BI)

Hi,

We have 40+ measures created for our OLAP cube, some of them being more complex than others. Almost 70% of them give an incorrect grand total when used in EXCEL pivot tables/Power BI. We expect it to be a perfect sum of the rows. The main culprit is already known fact that the grand totals are the actual measure without any row context, which I understand and accept why it's like this.

It would be a huge, near to impossible, effort to tailor all the measures to give correct grand totals for most possible combinations of measures and dimensions.

What we need is that actually, a way to have grand totals sum up correctly without any excel hacks like having custom made grand totals. Also moving some of the measures in a calculated column it's not actually an option as we try to keep resource consumption to a minimum.

I have read a lot of similar posts here but none of them apply to my situation. I'm trying to fix this issue for multiple measures, not for only a specific one.  My only bet is to find a way of having the measures be precalculated in memory and then do a sum on them. Similar to SUMMARIZE but without the grouping. Something like: "Take this measure, calculated it, and then do a sum of its results".

I am curious if anyone has found a general solution to this grand total hell?

I can provide some specific examples if needed.

Thanks in advance!

1 REPLY 1
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @valers ,

On Power BI you can use calculation groups and create a measure that returns the correct value for the measure that you place on the visualization directly, because there is a DAX syntax that is SELECTEDMEASURE(), using this syntax the calculation you perform is made on the measure you place on the visualizations.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/introducing-calculation-groups/

In Excel I don't believe there is an option of having this calculation groups.

Calling out @marcorusso @AlbertoFerrari  do you know how to do this in excel is it to have a similar way of doing it has you have in Power BI and the calculation groups?

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors