Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incorrect fisrt character for Text type

Hi,

I am quiter new with PowerBI. I am facing an issue about text data that need your help.

I get data from an ODBC connection, and here is the data preview in my QueryEditor:

1.PNG

As you can see here, i have 3 different users.

But after data is loaded to the report, i lower the first letter of the second user (from H0021126 to h0021126). So i got only 2 users, which caused wrong report result.

2.PNG

Is there any way to fix this issue? Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous not sure what your question is? What do you want? Unique list of users? Why you made the h to lower case?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Parry,

Actually i don't want the H lower case. PowerBI made it automatically, so it caused my report error.

@parry2k wrote:

@Anonymousnot sure what your question is? What do you want? Unique list of users? Why you made the h to lower case?

@Anonymous but in your post you mentioned that you made the h lower case for 2nd product. I'm still not sure what you actually looking for, if you can provide sample data in excel and the actual issue you have, it will help.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry that was a miss typo. I meant "It lower the first letter of the second user"

The data source is very simple, i don't know how to upload it here. Please use this table as source:

USER_NAME
h0021126
H0021126

user.lds

Expected result in PowerBI data is the same with source. Current result is:

2.PNG

@Anonymous can you share pbix file by link to one drive/google drive.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k  Please have a look at this file. Thank you.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Au2C2x_jdYi-iAirkYjv8ZIiEjCf

@Anonymous you have to share excel file as well.

what I'm looking thou?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous i guess what you are saying is that if you put users on table visuals, it shows only two users instead of 3 like below, i don;t there is anything can be done, this is how PowerBI work, it aggregates the data on unique columns you put in visual, in this case even two use has different lower/upper case, it comes up as one user

image.png

what you are trying to achieve thou?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k Yes i know it aggregates data on unique column. But in fact, h0021126 and H0021126 should be consider as 2 different users. The question is why in source data, i have 3 unique values, but after loading into powerbi without any transformation, what i receive is 2 unique values.

@Anonymous it is not case sensitive, so treating those both as one value

Anonymous
Not applicable

@parry2k so is there any way to make it case sensitive? Because not only in data visual but also in Data Tab, it automatically lower the H letter.

2.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.