Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MatinEmr

Incorrect data label position with two values

DatalabelsProblem.png

This is a Line Clustered Column Chart where the Markertype of the line Values are changed to dots.

The problem can be seen with group 2. The data points are correct. Unfortunately, the data labels are not correct. 28.03% should be at the top and 25.10% should be below.

I have set the position of the datalabels for "B actual Year" and "B last year" to "Auto". This way the datalabels are set automatically by Power BI.

Unfortunately, it does not help to set "B actual Year" to "Above" and "B last Year" to "Below", because it can happen that the data point for "B actual Year" is higher in one group and lower in the other group than the data point "B last Year" (see in group 2 and group 4).

It is also useless to set the position of both datalabels to "above" or "below", because otherwise the datalabels would overwrite each other. So one of the two datalabels would no longer be visible.

If I drag the chart larger, the datalabels are correct again. Unfortunately I can't make it bigger on my dashboard and therefore I'm looking for a solution how to make the datalabels with a lower value than the other one stand at the bottom and the datalabels with a higher value stand at the top.

4 REPLIES 4
v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @MatinEmr ,

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

This is totally unsettling with PowerBI "Auto" positioning of labels.

It should be OBVIOUS that with only 2 series, being a higher and a lower value, the labels should be above and below based on such values. Also BI doesn't let you manually fit each label as higher or lower, which is just awful when making line charts showing 2 series of data, like comparing between years. 

Just makes it hard to understand which is the higher value, also sets labels over data points where it should not be needed.

Wish they could make this little improvement. Sure it's something based on especific cases of data, but i wonder how much people have this same problem and just deal with it as "oh, this is something PBI can't solve i guess".

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@MatinEmr , There is an option to change the label position. Go and choose to customize series and for both lines, choose measure and set it below or above. Do not leave auto

Unfortunately, it does not help to set one measures to "Below" and the other to "Above", because it can happen that the data point for "B actual Year" is higher in one group and lower in the other group than the data point "B last Year" (see in group 2 and group 4). This means that for one of the two groups, the data label of these Measures would again be positioned incorrectly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.