Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incorrect calculation of sumx

Hello everyone,

I have a table with a column with the time and a column with the flow. I am trying to dinamically calculate the volume of selected periods as the area between each value ((Q2-Q1)/2 +Q1)*timestep. I imagine I should use something with sumx and come up with the formula below. When I disgregate in the different timesteps it calculate the values right, However if a use a summary table (by days for example) the value is completely different from what it should be. I obvuously am not getting how the context work but I wouldappreciate some help

At the bottom there is an example of wthe result I need. The Increment is what I want to get, the Volume column is what I get. The results are wrong when I look at the totals or start grouping by days or other periods of time.

Volume(m3) =

Var current_time = maxx(Sheet1,Sheet1[Time])
Var current_value = maxX(Sheet1,Sheet1[Flow (m3/h)])
Var Previous_time = maxx(filter(all(Sheet1[Time]),Sheet1[Time]<current_time),Sheet1[Time])
Var previous_value = calculate(max(Sheet1[Flow (m3/h)]),all(Sheet1[Time]),Sheet1[time]=Previous_time)
var Increment = (current_value-previous_value)/2+previous_value
Var volume = sumx(Sheet1,if(isblank(Previous_time),0,Increment))

RETURN
volume
Galonsonavajo_1-1629966892138.png

Galonsonavajo_0-1629966843908.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies for coming back so late. The provided code did not work. In the end I made some reasearch and the problem was that the variables were defined outside the Addcolumns formulas, so it was not using that context. So I defined the variables inside the addcolumns so it would respect the rows context of the virtual table  when looking for the previous timestep (see code below)

Volume(m3) =
VAR Tbl =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        SUMMARIZE ( sheet1, Sheet1[Time] ),
        "Flow",
            CALCULATE (
                VAR current_time =
                    CALCULATE ( MAX ( Sheet1[Time] ) )
                VAR current_value =
                    CALCULATE ( MAX ( Sheet1[Flow (m3/h)] ) )
                VAR Previous_time =
                    CALCULATE (
                        MAX ( Sheet1[Time] ),
                        FILTER ( ALL ( Sheet1[Time] ), Sheet1[Time] < current_time )
                    ) //Var previous_value = calculate(max(Sheet1[Flow (m3/h)]),all(Sheet1[Time]),Sheet1[time]=Previous_time)
                VAR previous_value =
                    CALCULATE (
                        MAX ( Sheet1[Flow (m3/h)] ),
                        FILTER ( ALL ( Sheet1 ), Sheet1[Time] = Previous_time )
                    )
                VAR Increment = ( current_value - previous_value ) / 2 + previous_value
                VAR Volume =
                    CALCULATE ( IF ( ISBLANK ( Previous_time ), 0, Increment ) )
                RETURN
                    Volume
            )
    )
RETURN
    SUMX ( Tbl, [Flow] )

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies for coming back so late. The provided code did not work. In the end I made some reasearch and the problem was that the variables were defined outside the Addcolumns formulas, so it was not using that context. So I defined the variables inside the addcolumns so it would respect the rows context of the virtual table  when looking for the previous timestep (see code below)

Volume(m3) =
VAR Tbl =
    ADDCOLUMNS (
        SUMMARIZE ( sheet1, Sheet1[Time] ),
        "Flow",
            CALCULATE (
                VAR current_time =
                    CALCULATE ( MAX ( Sheet1[Time] ) )
                VAR current_value =
                    CALCULATE ( MAX ( Sheet1[Flow (m3/h)] ) )
                VAR Previous_time =
                    CALCULATE (
                        MAX ( Sheet1[Time] ),
                        FILTER ( ALL ( Sheet1[Time] ), Sheet1[Time] < current_time )
                    ) //Var previous_value = calculate(max(Sheet1[Flow (m3/h)]),all(Sheet1[Time]),Sheet1[time]=Previous_time)
                VAR previous_value =
                    CALCULATE (
                        MAX ( Sheet1[Flow (m3/h)] ),
                        FILTER ( ALL ( Sheet1 ), Sheet1[Time] = Previous_time )
                    )
                VAR Increment = ( current_value - previous_value ) / 2 + previous_value
                VAR Volume =
                    CALCULATE ( IF ( ISBLANK ( Previous_time ), 0, Increment ) )
                RETURN
                    Volume
            )
    )
RETURN
    SUMX ( Tbl, [Flow] )

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try the below measure.If still not solved .Could you share your pbix file for me to test ,and remember to remove your confidential data.

measure1:

Previous_time =
Var Previous_time = maxx(filter(all(Sheet1[Time]),Sheet1[Time]<current_time),Sheet1[Time])
return  Previous_time 

measure2:

Increment  =
Var previous_value = calculate(max(Sheet1[Flow (m3/h)]),all(Sheet1[Time]),Sheet1[time]=Previous_time)
var Increment = (current_value-previous_value)/2+previous_value
return  Increment 

measure3:

Volume(m3) = sumx(Sheet1,if(isblank([Previous_time]),0,[Increment]))

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks amitchandak, I tried to include a very simple example of the output I need.

Kind regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.