Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Incorrect Row Totals for Cumulative Sales

Hello!

I have a table where each row is already having cumulative sales in it and I have created a measure that displays cumulative sales of each model per part here as follows:

Cum_Sales =
      Var Max_Date = MAX(Model_Sales[Date])
      Var Latest_Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Model_Sales[Cumulative Model Sales]), Model_Sales[Date] = Max_Date)
      Return Latest_Sales

My cumulative sales for each model per part is all correct as is supposed to be. However, my totals of cumulative sales of all models per part is not coming accurate for row totals. When I try to see totals for any specific Part Number, then the total in row is either same as the cumulative sales of a speicifc Model number or is close to totals of all model numbers or is right total of all models. Is there anything that needs to be changed in the DAX shown above for cumulative sales while I am trying to see my cumulative sales of each model per part so that my Totals are correct?

I would like to see the Totals as total of cumulative sales of each Model for any selected Part. Totals of column is showing the right totals as that is the cumulative sales per part.  I have tried to create a mini sample to replicate the issue.

In below example shows incorrect totals of 1900 for 2022 & it should be 2320 instead.Its taking the value of only one model. Column totals are correct.

kamsingh11_0-1655663357214.png

.pbx file Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/191yFa8i6Pp--XxbF7iVN0QeRX3dGROKE/view?usp=sharing

In my real data, we have same issue as above. But there are also some rows with totals close to right total, but not exact right total. For example, if it is supposed be 1426 in above example for 2021, it shows 1418 or so. There are very few rows with right totals. 

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try this:

Cum_Sales_Tot V3 =
IF (
    HASONEVALUE ( Dates[Year] ) || HASONEVALUE ( Part_to_Model[Model] ),
    [Cum_Sales_Tot V2],
    MAXX (
        TOPN (
            SUMMARIZE ( Dates, Dates[Year], "Cum_Sales_V3", [Cum_Sales_Tot V2] ),
            [Year]
        ),
        [Cum_Sales_V3]
    )
)

Icey_0-1656054119289.png

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AlB
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

Cum_Sales_Tot V2 = 
IF(ISINSCOPE(Part_to_Model[Model]),
   [Cum_Sales],
   SUMX(CROSSJOIN(DISTINCT(Dates[Year]), DISTINCT(Part_to_Model[Model])), [Cum_Sales]))

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @AlB !

It works great for Row Total per Year as well as Column Total per Model except for the Total in the intersection of Row and Column. So, instead of 920 for our example, it should be 420

kamsingh11_0-1655748616757.png

Thanks again for your help!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please help to fix this last piece of puzzle.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Try this:

Cum_Sales_Tot V3 =
IF (
    HASONEVALUE ( Dates[Year] ) || HASONEVALUE ( Part_to_Model[Model] ),
    [Cum_Sales_Tot V2],
    MAXX (
        TOPN (
            SUMMARIZE ( Dates, Dates[Year], "Cum_Sales_V3", [Cum_Sales_Tot V2] ),
            [Year]
        ),
        [Cum_Sales_V3]
    )
)

Icey_0-1656054119289.png

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Icey! It works perfectly!

Thank you so much!

Thanks @AlB for making it simpler throughout and for solving it 95% for us.

Thank you both!

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Create a new measure based on [Sum_Sales] you already have:

Cum_Sales_Tot = 
SUMX(CROSSJOIN(DISTINCT(Dates[Year]), DISTINCT(Part_to_Model[Model])), [Cum_Sales])

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @AlB!

Row Totals are now correct and thats what I am looking for. However, the Column total was correct earlier showing only cumulative total per Model. Now, it shows column total as cumulative for all the years per model  instead of showing totals for only 2022 as that is cumulative value so far per model. How can we modify DAX and also, if this can be applicable even if months are selected as data is cumulative for each month.

kamsingh11_0-1655695768580.png

Thanks again for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.