Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HanLee
Helper I
Helper I

Incorrect Measure Result when dividing on one system

Hi folks,

My colleague is having a bit of trouble with power bi when divinding using a measure. This occurs when we creat a new column within Power BI and use that to divide or divide by.

I've had him send his file to me and I've done the exact same division in a measure and I get the correct result which is the very odd part. I can even copy and paste his DAX formula into a new measure and mine will spit out the correct result while his will remain incorrect.

We have no idea why so I thought I would see if anyone can provide any ideas as to why this happens.

Cheers,

Han

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello everyone! We've found a solution using Quick Measures which is a preview feature at the moment.

A little more time consuming but at least produces the correct answer.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Maru
Helper I
Helper I

Not sure if it is the same case. After wasting an hour, I realize a new column with the same function does not have the same issue. Next time I will try just create a new measure column.

Has Power BI calculated cache?

Untitled.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @HanLee,

What exactly is incorrect about it like: is the format incorrect, does it give the wrong result etc ?

Regards,

L. Meijdam

Hi there, thanks for your reply. It's just an incorrect answer. Sometimes we divide a small number by a larger one and we get a massive overblown result like 6000 when the answer should be .30. 

Copying and pasting the formula my coworker used into my own measure on my computer works fine though. Any ideas? 

@HanLee

Could you please clarify this:

1) Are you both using the same dimensional model?

2) Are you dividing by actutal numbers or measure? 

Please post the code here.

N -

@nickchobotar

1. Yes we're using the same everything as all the necessary files including the pbix file has just been sent in an email to me and I've changed the file paths as necessary.

2. We're dividing by a column, not a measure. On occassion, these columns are made using other columns we've also created

Another note which may or may not be of importance. Looking at just the Transactions or the Checkout numbers alone, they're correct for both of us. But only when my coworker divides them does he get an incorrect answer while I get the correct one. Formula: Conversion % = sum('Data1'[Transactions])/SUM('Data1'[Carts]) 

The answer he gets is 70000% while I get 46%. Odd huh? This is exact formula I copy and pasted on my computer to get the correct answer.

Cheers guys

@HanLee

I see!
On your co-worker's machine, are the columns' data type set to the same values as on yours ?

What happens if you use a  DIVIDE() function?   DIVIDE(SUM('Data1'[Transactions]), SUM('Data1'[Carts]))

Thanks, N -

@nickchobotar

My coworker tried the divide function rather than using / and it was ineffective 😞

We're running out of solutions and I'm not sure what to do. 

I'm beginning to think that this is a problem with his computer rather than the program but I'm not sure why this would occur and what would cause it.

Hello everyone! We've found a solution using Quick Measures which is a preview feature at the moment.

A little more time consuming but at least produces the correct answer.

@nickchobotar

I believe so since I'm using my coworkers pbix file. Would those column data types change if they're opened on a new machine?

I'll give that a go when we have the chance and get back to you.

Thanks for the suggestion, that had not even come into my mind

@HanLee

You have a very unusual situation and I cannot tame my curiousity.  Were you able to find a solution? 

N -

Hi @nickchobotar

Nop, we tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that didn't work. Currently we haven't tried using the divide function as mentioned earlier as my coworker has been quite busy but hopefully that works out for us.

If anyone else has any suggestions please do comment below.

Cheers

Hi, Put on diferent card visuals SUM('Data1'[Transactions]) and SUM('Data1'[Carts]) and then make a comparison of the results  between your computer and your co-worker one. If the values are different, the data could be the problem.

@BILASolution 

The sum of transactions and carts are correct. We've checked that but the error occurs ONLY when dividing

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.