Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Inconsistency with Power Query

Hi,

I have the next problem:

When I load some datas from an Excel file, in Power Query the dates are perfect, but when I upload to Power BI desktop some dates are deleted and I dont know why.

These are some pictures of this problem:

2.PNG3.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Based on your description, I'd like to suggest you create an index column in data scource. Then you may go to 'Modeling' ribbon, click 'Sort by column', make the index column selected.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TimoRiikonen
Advocate III
Advocate III

One option for fixing the sorting issue is to create another column where dates are represented in "2020-12-31" format and to use that for sorting.

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Based on your description, I'd like to suggest you create an index column in data scource. Then you may go to 'Modeling' ribbon, click 'Sort by column', make the index column selected.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

VasTg
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

Use locale to set the date format.

Cap11.PNG

Cap11.PNG

Refer to this post.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Date-Change-from-DD-MM-YYYY/m-p/908419

If it helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I change the typo to locale (united Kingdom)

But the dates are not in the same order as in the excel, and is very important the order.

Do you know how to fix that?

Thanks

@Anonymous 

I would say, introduce a column with seriel no(or index) in excel and bring that to Power BI. You could use that column as a SORT BY column for date.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-sort-by-column

If it helps, mark it as a solution

Kudos are nice too

Connect on LinkedIn
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Are they deleted or in a different order. Check no of rows.

Another issue. When you have a date in DD/MM/YYYY, sometimes it happens that few dates are taken as MM/DD/YYYY. Just check for that too

Anonymous
Not applicable

The n° of rows are the same, How can I solve that problem with the order of the format of the dates?

There are few options like you try to the system that date is in the British format. If nothing works out. Then convert it into text. Check the date are the same as the source.

and create a new column like

new column = mid(DD__MM__YY[Date],4,2) &"/"& left(DD__MM__YY[Date],2) & "/" & right(DD__MM__YY[Date],4)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.