Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JimKingPowerBI
Advocate II
Advocate II

Incomplete list of tables for Oracle schema

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help,

When I use Power BI Desktop (Version: 2.49.4831.521 64-bit (August 2017)) to connect to an Oracle PeopleSoft HCM 9.2 database, the number of tables listed in the SYSADM schema is limited. It's a long list of tables, but it's far from a complete list. The resulting list is ordered alphabetically by table name and it ends with a table named "PS_GPHK_PSLP_LANG". So if I search for something simple like "PS_JOB", it is not found and therefore, I cannot load it. I even disabled preview, but that didn't affect the number of tables that were listed for the schema.

How do I load tables that are in the schema, but due to the limitation of how many tables are listed, I cannot select it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

On the pop-up for the Oracle connector in Desktop, at the bottom is "Advanced options". Expand that and you can paste in your SQL Statement.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
stephenlf

I had the same issue. Here's the solution I found.

Different schema (usernames) have different access to the tables in Oracle DB. You may be connecting to your database with credentials for an underprivileged schema. You can fix this by clearing your credential cache and signing in with the correct credentials.

In  Power BI Desktop, under the Home tab, click "Transform data" > Data source settingsGlobal permissions

stephenlf_0-1694093278672.png

Find the server name for the connection you want to modify and click "Edit permissions".

stephenlf_1-1694093368469.png

Under Credentials, click Edit... and center the credentials for the privileged schema you wish to use.

Good luck!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

On the pop-up for the Oracle connector in Desktop, at the bottom is "Advanced options". Expand that and you can paste in your SQL Statement.

Latest book!:

Thanks!

That works! I guess there's no way to just select it from the list though, huh? So this will likely be my recourse in nearly all situations with a database of this size.

Well, the visual navigator is really nice and handy but it has its limits.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.