Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

elz
Advocate II
Advocate II

Include open type columns option on odata feed import window

Hello,

I have looked for a description of what this option does, but can't find one.

The only information that I could find was what was posted on a monthly update page, which i pasted below.
I don't know what that means.

The only thing that comes to mind when i hear "open type", is a type of font.
I'm hoping someone can let me know what this option does in this software.

"Enhanced OData connector – Option to import Open Type columns from OData feeds

The OData connector now supports importing Open Type columns from OData feeds. Prior to this update, such columns were not supported in Power BI Desktop. This option is exposed under the “Advanced Options” section in the OData connector dialog."

Thank you
Tracy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @elz,

In my opinion, this issue is an Odata issue rather than a Power BI Desktop issue.

Firstly, we need to clarify that what is open type column in Odata. Based on my research, an open type is a structured type that contains dynamic properties, in addition to any properties that are declared in the type definition. Open type makes your data model more flexible. For more details, please review the following blogs.

Open Types in OData v4 with ASP.NET Web API
[Tutorial & Sample] How to Use Open Type in OData

Secondly, if your Odata source contains the columns like Book, Press of the above blog, you are able to import them into Power BI Desktop June update or later version by selecting “include open type columns”  option.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @elz,

In my opinion, this issue is an Odata issue rather than a Power BI Desktop issue.

Firstly, we need to clarify that what is open type column in Odata. Based on my research, an open type is a structured type that contains dynamic properties, in addition to any properties that are declared in the type definition. Open type makes your data model more flexible. For more details, please review the following blogs.

Open Types in OData v4 with ASP.NET Web API
[Tutorial & Sample] How to Use Open Type in OData

Secondly, if your Odata source contains the columns like Book, Press of the above blog, you are able to import them into Power BI Desktop June update or later version by selecting “include open type columns”  option.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi lydia,

thank you for the links. they cleared up what "open type" means.

tracy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.