Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Include and Exclude filter : not a page filter ? only visual filter ?

Dear,

I saw in the MS EDX PBI training that it is possible to remove unwanted information from the report with right-click -> "Include / Exclude" filter.

I tried to replicate but the filter won't affect the other visuals:

Graphics :

All countries are shownAll countries are shown

Australia is filtered but don't affect other graphics:

2.JPG

I tried both interactions (filtered and highlight) but it only applies the filter to the current visual.

Is there a way to make the excluded information become a page filter ?

Thanks !

9 REPLIES 9
WHH
Frequent Visitor

Copy and paste the visual. This new visual will retain all of the 'exclude' filters.

Now convert the copied visual to a 'slicer'.

Use the sync slicer settings (found in the view ribbon) to propogate this slicer to all pages in the report as hidden slicers so they will be active in the background.

Some tweaking and config may be needed to get you the results you want: i.e. You may need to add 'select all' option to these slicers so you can select / de-select all options.

Other work arounds may be to use the 'new group' function to create a container that holds all those elements you want excluded and then use this in a slicer.

JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hey @Anonymous ,

yes it is - just move the stuff to the button field. (-> Screenshot down below)

2019-09-13 15_13_30-Include and Exclude filter _ not a page filter _ o... - Microsoft Power BI Commu.png

If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and give it some kudos?

Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @JosefPrakljacic , it is a workaround but I would not be the end-user of the report, therefore I would like to have it in the page filter as standard.

Is it possible?

Ah then you should filter it out in the PowerQuery Editor so it wont appear in the reports for your users.

Here is a ScreenGif

Example.gif

If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and give it some kudos?

Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @JosefPrakljacic 

In fact I'm connected to an SQL Server and I can't use Power Query.

The user want to be able to remove the item from the graphic and have it applied to the page level filter as an standard. Your first solution is feasible if the user is aware of using filters, which is not the case.

I think there should be this option available somewhere but I can't find it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, not that one. Smiley Sad

The user want to dinamically change the focus of the analysis.

There are already filters in the report that enable to filter the country region and country but the user want also to be able to remove directly in the graphic and have it applied to the whole report.

I don't think what you want is gonna work. (Or I still haven't understood you.) I'm curious if anyone else will see a way here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think this feature is not intended to be used as a page filter, only as a fast way to remove the information from one graphic.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.