cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndrewP Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Include additional table or query result using existing DB source

I have a setup in which I want to add another DB table query, and a direct SQL query result query.

I would like to reuse the existing source.  I can't see any way to do that, so I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.

Can anyone assist with how to do that?

12 REPLIES 12
v-ljerr-msft Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Include additional table or query result using existing DB source

Hi @AndrewP,

It is not possible to do it currently, because there is a limitation to using DirectQuery that all tables must come from a single database. See Limitations of DirectQuery.Smiley Happy

Regards

AndrewP Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

What about just in general?

For example a MySQL source.

Then later I want to grab an additional table, how would I use the existing source for that?

tringuyenminh92 New Contributor
New Contributor

Hi @AndrewP,

If you have multiple sources and still want using Direct Query, you have build up datwarehouse to gather everything and pre-processing in there and PBI will access it directly.

AndrewP Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

If we ignore the direct query part of the question, how can I reuse a source to just pull an additional table as is?

New Contributor

Hi @AndrewP,

So far you could use import mode, but DQ and Import mode are different from refreshing schedule and another points. In my mind, i hope DQ could have this mixing source in future version of PBI. 

AndrewP Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Again, if we ignore the direct query aspect of my original question, how could I just include an additional table while using the same source?  For example, I set up the initial source and choose 2/10 tables, but I want to use 4/10 tables.  How would I select the additional 2 tables without creating a second source?

New Contributor

Hi @AndrewP,

With Import mode, when you choose n-tables and refresh, PBI will generate separate n-queries to your source as SQL queries. So when you want to add 2 more tables after added 2 tables, you just choose get data/recent sources and select 2 additional tables. Is this your concern?

AndrewP Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

No.

When I started I created a new database source and selected specific tables.

I would like to modify that to include more tables.

How can I do that, and ONLY that?

(Recent sources is empty)

New Contributor

Hi @AndrewP,

I got your point now, your expectation could be and could not ^_^

• if your sources are SQL DB, you have no way to open the select list dialog and tick or untick. (so you have to choose recent sources/get data to add another tables)
  • if your sources are CUBE (SSAS Cube), go to Edit Queries, choose the query in left navigation panel, and double click Added Item in Query Setting panel in the right. Now you could select more dim/facts (it's dim or fact, not table)

Screenshot 2017-01-24 22.20.18.png