Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndrewP
Helper I
Helper I

Include additional table or query result using existing DB source

I have a setup in which I want to add another DB table query, and a direct SQL query result query.

I would like to reuse the existing source.  I can't see any way to do that, so I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.

Can anyone assist with how to do that?

12 REPLIES 12
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @AndrewP,

It is not possible to do it currently, because there is a limitation to using DirectQuery that all tables must come from a single database. See Limitations of DirectQuery.Smiley Happy

Regards

What about just in general?

For example a MySQL source.

Then later I want to grab an additional table, how would I use the existing source for that?

Hi @AndrewP,

If you have multiple sources and still want using Direct Query, you have build up datwarehouse to gather everything and pre-processing in there and PBI will access it directly.

If we ignore the direct query part of the question, how can I reuse a source to just pull an additional table as is?

Hi @AndrewP,

So far you could use import mode, but DQ and Import mode are different from refreshing schedule and another points. In my mind, i hope DQ could have this mixing source in future version of PBI. 

Again, if we ignore the direct query aspect of my original question, how could I just include an additional table while using the same source?  For example, I set up the initial source and choose 2/10 tables, but I want to use 4/10 tables.  How would I select the additional 2 tables without creating a second source?

Hi @AndrewP,

With Import mode, when you choose n-tables and refresh, PBI will generate separate n-queries to your source as SQL queries. So when you want to add 2 more tables after added 2 tables, you just choose get data/recent sources and select 2 additional tables. Is this your concern?

No.

When I started I created a new database source and selected specific tables.

I would like to modify that to include more tables.

How can I do that, and ONLY that?

(Recent sources is empty)

Hi @AndrewP,

I got your point now, your expectation could be and could not ^_^

• if your sources are SQL DB, you have no way to open the select list dialog and tick or untick. (so you have to choose recent sources/get data to add another tables)
  • if your sources are CUBE (SSAS Cube), go to Edit Queries, choose the query in left navigation panel, and double click Added Item in Query Setting panel in the right. Now you could select more dim/facts (it's dim or fact, not table)

Screenshot 2017-01-24 22.20.18.png

@tringuyenminh92 wrote:

Hi @AndrewP,

I got your point now, your expectation could be and could not ^_^

• if your sources are SQL DB, you have no way to open the select list dialog and tick or untick. (so you have to choose recent sources/get data to add another tables)

My source is MySQL.  The data is there, and refreshes ok, so I know the source exists, but recent sources is blank/empty.

Hi @AndrewP,

So please use Get Data, and in the fill in dialog, please enter both server and database name (even thought database name is optional). Hope it works.

@tringuyenminh92 wrote:

Hi @AndrewP,

So please use Get Data, and in the fill in dialog, please enter both server and database name (even thought database name is optional). Hope it works.

That's exactly what I do NOT want to do.

I have done that in the past and then I end up with multiple sources.

That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.