Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bhartsell
Frequent Visitor

Include Zero on a Table

I'm making a table visual with two columns, Name and Count. This works perfectly well at counting data, but I also want to include "Names" for which there is no data (thus the Count would be 0). How can I do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Oh right, so you're using the 'Count' aggregation from the dropdown on the field.

I think you'll need to define your own measure instead to stop the blank row removal.

e.g.

Count Measure = COUNT( Table[Column] ) + 0

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
sraj
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

What if we have this as a column and not a calculated measure as mentioned above?

CahabaData
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I will assume that the data table in which you are working - if a name has no data/record then it does not appear in this table.  Let's call this Table1

So you need a data table that has all names - possible you need to create that, which is a straight forward task using the New Table feature.  In any case call that Name Table.

Have a join line between these 2 data tables

Then in your Visual table use Name table, and a Measure =Count(Related(Table1)) 

Just air code but that's the idea I think will work.

www.CahabaData.com
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

@bhartsell,

The simplest way I know of is to add +0 to the end of your measure.

This will convert blanks to zero and leave nonblanks unchanged.

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

I'm not using a measure, though. It's a table where "Name" is a text value and "Count" is a count of the data. 

Oh right, so you're using the 'Count' aggregation from the dropdown on the field.

I think you'll need to define your own measure instead to stop the blank row removal.

e.g.

Count Measure = COUNT( Table[Column] ) + 0

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

I came across your solution to someone with a similar problem, but when I tried it, the results included all rows, even those that had been filtered out previously by a parameter...

I have a table with users & applications that they have purchased; a second table with usage of applications by all users.  I have a drop-down filter to select which application to view data on - which should show the users who have the application and the count of hits in the usage table.

When I use the built in count drop-down in the table field settings, only rows of users with usage appears.  I created a measure as you recommended to include users with no usage, but the table then stopped responding to the application name filter - regardless of which value I select, all applications are now displayed in the table.

Can you help me get the count, including rows with no usage, for only the applications that have been selected in the filter?

@jalapeno 

My opinion on how to solve this has changed since the original post - I would now not recommend the "add zero" approach as it can adversely impact performance and may give unwanted results as in your case.

I would instead recommend:

1. Ensure all columns to be used for filter/grouping are in separate dimension tables related to your fact table(s).
    In your case this would include User & Application.
  2. Ensure the User & Application columns used on your visuals are those from the dimension tables.
  3. Once these fields have been added to particular visuals, click the dropdown on the field in the field well and select "Show items with no data"

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

That worked perfectly. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.